Our Cherry Street Plaza lobby is now open for walk-in service from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Learn about other customer support options.
The Health Care Authority’s (HCA) vision is for all rural residents to achieve greater health and well-being and have access to essential care and social supports when needed. A new rural health care model will ensure sustainable access to care in rural communities.
Why transform rural health care?
Rural health care providers and systems face many challenges in the communities they serve. Critical access hospitals, rural health clinics, federally qualified health centers, and others face overlapping, complex challenges, including:
- Sicker, aging populations.
- Provider recruitment and retention or workforce issues, especially with behavioral health and substance use disorder.
- Fewer resources to invest in practice transformation.
- Lack of health information technology and systems to support population health management.
These challenges have magnified over the last few years, jeopardizing access to essential care for those in rural communities. These challenges occur regardless of the type of one’s health insurance and place each community’s economy at risk.
The CHART Model
Washington State applied for and will receive the Community Health Access and Rural Transformation (CHART) Model grant. Read our announcement to learn more.
The CHART Model is offered through Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. As the lead organization, HCA will partner with rural health systems, health care providers and health plans, Department of Health’s Office of Rural Health, and Accountable Communities of Health.
The model is a voluntary payment model designed to meet the unique needs of rural communities. It will test whether aligned financial incentives, increased operational flexibility, and robust technical support promote rural health care providers’ capacity to implement effective health care delivery system redesign on a broad scale.
- Washington Rural Health Access Preservation (WRHAP) Program: final report from the Washington State Hospital Association
- HCA CHART Model fact sheet
- Watch a video on the CHART Model