Health Care Cost Transparency Board
Washingtonians are paying more and more for their health care. Rising health care prices also affect how health care plans (payers) pay providers. The Health Care Cost Transparency Board (House Bill 2457) was signed into law in 2020, with the purpose of reducing health care cost growth and increasing price transparency.
Learn more about the Health Care Cost Transparency Board!
The Health Care Cost Transparency Board is responsible for reducing the state's health care cost growth by:
- Determining the state's total health care expenditures.
- Identifying cost trends and cost drivers in the health care system.
- Setting a health care cost growth benchmark for providers and payers.
- Reporting annually to the Legislature, including providing recommendations for lowering health care costs.
Every year, the board will set a benchmark for the annual rate of growth of total health care spending in Washington State. The board will identify health care providers and payers that are exceeding the established benchmark. The purpose of the benchmark and public reporting are to:
- Make health care costs more transparent to the public and policymakers.
- Encourage providers and payers to keep costs at or below the benchmark.
- Reduce the overall trend of health care cost growth in Washington State.
|September 27, 2022|
|September 23, 2022|
|September 6, 2022|
|August 2, 2022||New resources available for those providing health care cost data to WA cost board|
|June 7, 2022||Washington is working to lower health care costs and increase transparency. This new resource explains how.|
|April 29, 2022||Cost Board’s data call will set baseline for tracking state's growth in spending|
|March 29, 2022||Health Care Cost Transparency Board taking steps toward making health care more affordable|
|February 18, 2022||Washington State continues efforts on health care cost containment|
- Read our FAQ (June 2022)
- View upcoming and past board meeting information, materials, and recordings.
- View the board's charter and operating procedures.
- Learn more about the board by viewing the roster or visiting our Board members page.