Change my coverage
Learn how and when to make changes to your coverage. Most changes can be made during annual open enrollment or during a special open enrollment.
Important! Your payroll or benefits office must receive your forms and supporting documentation:
- No later than the last day of open enrollment, or
- No later than 60 days after the event that creates a special open enrollment.
Do I need to use Workday? If you work for Pierce County, Washington State University, or the University of Washington you must make changes through Workday.
On this page
What changes can I make during open enrollment?
Changes are effective January 1 of the following year.
- Change medical or dental plans.
- Add or remove eligible dependents.
- Waive medical coverage.
- Enroll in a medical plan, if you previously waived medical.
- Attest to the spouse or state-registered domestic partner coverage premium surcharge.
- Enroll in a Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA) or Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP) (These benefits are available to employees of state agencies and higher-education institutions only).
- Enroll in or opt out of the state’s premium payment plan.
Can I make any changes online?
Yes. During open enrollment you can make the following changes online using PEBB My Account or through Workday.
- Change your medical and/or dental plans.
- Waive medical coverage if you are enrolled in other employer-based group medical insurance, a TRICARE plan, or Medicare (coverage through the Health Benefit Exchange is not group coverage).
- Remove dependents from your coverage.
- Reattest to the spouse or state-registered domestic partner coverage premium surcharge.
Please print or save your confirmation page when you’ve completed your changes. Check back in two business days to verify the coverage you selected and your spousal or state-registered domestic partner coverage premium surcharge attestation is correct.
When you submit an online plan change, please wait two business days to make any additional online plan changes.
What changes can I make at any time?
You can make some changes during the year without a special open enrollment.
- Remove dependents from coverage due to loss of eligibility. Your payroll or benefits office must receive the PEBB Employee Enrollment/Change form within 60 days of the last day of the month the dependent loses eligibility for health plan coverage. You may also need to provide proof of the event before the dependent can be removed.
- Apply for, cancel, or change coverage amounts, or update beneficiary information for supplemental life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance.
- Apply for, cancel, or change Auto or home insurance coverage.
- Reduce coverage level, decline coverage, or enroll in employee-paid long-term disability insurance.
- Manage your contribution to your health savings account (HSA) and name your HSA beneficiary.
- Change your or a dependent's tobacco use premium surcharge attestation.
How do I make changes?
Submit the appropriate PEBB Employee Enrollment/Change form and any supporting documentation to your payroll or benefits office during open enrollment or when a when a special open enrollment event occurs.
During open enrollment, you may also make some changes using PEBB My Account.
Note: Pierce County, Washington State University, and University of Washington employees must make changes through Workday.
How do I change my address?
Contact your payroll or benefits office.
When do changes take effect?
- During open enrollment: Changes are effective January 1 of the following year.
- For a special open enrollment: Generally, the first day of the month after we receive your form.
Your payroll or benefits office