Change my coverage

Learn how and when to make changes to your coverage. Most changes can be made during annual open enrollment or during a special open enrollment.


Your payroll or benefits office must receive your forms and supporting documentation: 

  • No later than the last day of open enrollment, or
  • No later than 60 days after the event that creates a special open enrollment.

Do I need to use Workday? If you work for Pierce County, Washington State University, or the University of Washington you must make changes through Workday. 

What changes can I make during open enrollment?

Changes are effective January 1 of the following year. 

You can: 

  • Enroll in a Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA) or Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP) (These benefits are available to employees of state agencies and higher-education institutions only).
  • Enroll in or opt out of the state’s premium payment plan.
  • Use Benefits 24/7 (or Workday) to: 
    • Change your medical and/or dental plans.
    • Add or remove dependents. 
    • Waive medical coverage if you are enrolled in other employer-based group medical insurance, a TRICARE plan, or Medicare (coverage through the Health Benefit Exchange is not group coverage).
    • Change your response to the tobacco use premium surcharge.
    • Reattest to the spouse or state-registered domestic partner coverage premium surcharge.
    • Reduce coverage level, increase coverage level, or decline employee-paid long-term disability insurance.

What changes can I make at any time?

You can make some changes during the year without a special open enrollment.

How do I make changes?

Submit your changes in Benefits 24/7 or submit the appropriate PEBB Employee Enrollment/Change form and any supporting documentation to your payroll or benefits office during open enrollment or when a when a special open enrollment event occurs.

Note: Pierce County, Washington State University, and University of Washington employees must make changes through Workday.

 How do I change my address? 

Contact your payroll or benefits office. 

When do changes take effect? 

  • During open enrollment: Changes are effective January 1 of the following year.
  • For a special open enrollment: Generally, the first day of the month after we receive your form.


Your payroll or benefits office