Transportation services (nonemergency)
In 1989 Washington State established a brokerage model to provide nonemergency medical transportation (NEMT) services to individuals eligible for medical assistance under the Medicaid State Plan who need access to medical care or services, and have no other means of transportation. It has since grown to become one of the most cost effective NEMT programs in the nation.
Since 2011 the NEMT program has focused on the goals of the 2018 realignment plan for the HCA:
- Improving customer service experience.
- Improving customer outcomes.
- Reducing cost.
Within this framework, the NEMT program strives for the following:
- Ensure that eligible Apple Health (Medicaid) clients have access to covered medical services
- Ensure broker compliance with program rules through performance based contracts
- Provide accurate program utilization data to facilitate data driven decisions