Potential government shutdown

In the event of a federal government shutdown, individuals enrolled in Apple Health (Medicaid), Public Employees Benefits Board, and School Employees Benefits Board coverage—and those accessing behavioral health services—will not experience a disruption in care. In addition, health care providers will continue to be paid for the services they provide.

If a shutdown occurs, we will share more information at that time.

Enroll as a billing provider

Instructions on how to enroll as a billing provider for Washington Apple Health (Medicaid).

Compile your application materials then proceed to ProviderOne.

Do I need to submit an enrollment application fee?

Yes. An application fee may be required to complete your enrollment in compliance with federal regulations under 42 CFR 455.460.

Effective June 1, 2016, Washington Apple Health (Medicaid) is implementing an application fee for institutional provider enrollment applications. Providers who are enrolled with Medicare and providers currently enrolled with Apple Health will not be affected. Providers who will be subject to the application fee will be notified by HCA when the fee is required.

The Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services sets the application fee annually.

The application fee for 2022 is $631.

The application fee for 2023 is $688.

What documents do I need to submit?

You will need to submit a number of documents with your application. Listed below are required and optional documents. You may also need to complete provider-specific documents based on your provider type.

All forms requiring a signature must be signed by an individual with legal authority to bind provider. Signatures are required on: Core Provider Agreement, Debarment Statement, Electronic Funds Transfer and W-9 for the form to be considered complete.

Documentation sent to Provider Enrollment requires a document submission cover sheet. You will be prompted to complete and print the cover sheet once you have submitted your online application.

Required documents

Optional documents

Note: A Trading Partner Agreement (TPA) is required if web batch and/or FTP secured batch are selected for the Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) submission method on step 10 of the online application.

Do not send the following

  • Curriculum vitae or resumes
  • Copies of driver's licenses or passports
  • Double-sided documentation

How do I submit the required documents?

Download our instructions for how to upload attachments in ProviderOne.

What should I know before I start my application?

You must send all required documentation noted above with signatures, if required. At the end of the application process, you will be given instructions for sending the necessary documents.

Once you have completed step one of the application you will be given a 14-digit application ID number. Write this number down in case you need to save and access your application at a later time. The online application has up to 18 steps. If you do not have time to complete it now you will need your application number to regain access.

Important! This is not the end of the online application. There are 16 additional steps. Click OK in the bottom right corner of the screen once you receive your application ID number to continue and complete your application. 

What enrollment type option should I select?

  • Individual: If you are enrolling as an individual provider who owns your own practice. Note: If you choose to use your Social Security number (SSN) as your tax ID you will need to update the servicing type to “Regular Individual Provider." Additionally, individual NPI type must be used for this enrollment.
  • Group practice: If you are enrolling as an organization of individual providers who offer services. Note: Organizational NPI type must be used for this enrollment.
  • Fac/agncy/orgn/inst: If you are enrolling as a facility agency, organization or institution. Note: Organizational NPI type must be used for this enrollment.
  • Tribal health services: If you are enrolling as a tribal health provider. Note: Organizational NPI type must be used for this enrollment.

What billing type and agency should I select?

For help, view our instructions for adding Billing Type and Available Agencies.

How can I get back into my online enrollment application?

If you started an online enrollment but have not completed the required steps, you may track your enrollment application* by using your 14-digit application ID and the Social Security number (SSN) or Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) you entered in step one of your application. This allows you to complete the enrollment and submit it for review and approval.

*Link does not work for Health Care Authority staff.

What should I expect after I submit my application?

  • HCA strives to process applications within 30 days from when they are received.
  • An application may take longer to process if it is:
    • Out-of-state.
    • Requires program approval.
    • Is missing required information or documents. You will be contacted if additional information is required.
  • If your enrollment is approved you will be mailed a welcome letter.

Next steps for new providers


Phone: 1-800-562-3022, ext. 16137
Phones are open: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Closed from noon to 1 p.m.)
Phones are closed: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Email: providerenrollment@hca.wa.gov