Veterans and family members

Are you a veteran or family member of a veteran who:

  • Currently receives Apple Health (Medicaid) coverage?
  • Needs assistance but doesn't qualify for Apple Health coverage?

You may be entitled to benefits and / or claim assistance through the Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA).

Are you eligible for benefits with the Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA)? Talk to your local service officer. 

Washington State’s Veterans Benefit Enhancement Program (VBEP) works with WDVA to help eligible veterans and their families get assistance through Veterans Affairs (VA) health care.

  • Since 2003, the VBEP has helped qualify over 15,600 Washington veterans and their families for federal benefits.
  • Currently only 23 percent of veterans eligible for benefits are actually receiving them.

Who is eligible?

WDVA assists veterans, their family members and survivors in connecting to the benefits they earned through their military service. These benefits and services may be available to you if you meet VA eligibility criteria.

Some benefits may also be used by active service members, reservists, and National Guard members as well as eligible spouses, children, and survivors of veterans and service members.

“Under VA rules, anyone who served honorable for two years in a branch of the military is eligible for some benefits, even if they never left American soil or saw combat.” (Heather Kerrigan, "Moving Vets Off Medicaid and Onto VA," Governing, October, 2010.)

Note: If you have questions about income or compensation as a veteran, review the MAGI income – Noncountable income information in our Apple Health eligibility manual, or call the Washington Healthplanfinder Customer Support Center at 1-855-923-4633.

What benefits and services are available?

  • Pensions or compensation
  • Medical coverage
  • Prescription drugs
  • Medical devices
  • Family benefits

For a full list of services and benefits you or your family may be eligible for, visit ExploreVA.

How do I apply?

To apply for benefits through WDVA, complete the following steps

  1. Contact the Washington Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) by email at or by phone at 1-800-562-2308 for questions regarding available benefits.
  2. WDVA will, in some cases, refer you to the County Veteran Service Officers (CVSO) to establish what benefits you may be entitled to. Find your local CVSO (by county) and a full list of resources.
  3. The CVSOs will confirm you and/or your family's VA eligibility and assist you in applying for the benefits you have earned for your service to the nation.

What information do I need when applying?

The following items may be required when applying:

  • DD214 or other separation papers
  • Marriage certificate(s) and divorce decree(s)
  • Birth records for each dependent child
  • Death certificates
  • Service medical records (if relevant)

What about CHAMPVA or TRICARE?


Are you the spouse or child of a veteran rated totally disabled for a service-connected disability or died from service-connected disability?

You may be eligible for Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) health insurance.


Are you:

  • Active duty military, retired military or a Guard/Reserve member, or
  • A family member/survivor of a(n):
    • Active duty military,
    • Retired military,
    • Guard/Reserve member, or
    • Veteran who died in action?

You may be eligible for TRICARE health care.


For more information or to see if you qualify for additional benefits
In-person: Find a Service Officer in your area.

Tim Dahlin
Veteran's program manager
Health Care Authority