Interpreter services (providers)
Providers are required to ensure spoken and sign language access according to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The Health Care Authority's (HCA) interpreter services (IS) supports you in your efforts by offering spoken and sign interpreter services for Apple Health (Medicaid) health care appointments. For language access or ADA questions or to file a complaint, visit our nondiscrimination webpage.
On this page
Stay informed about interpreter services updates and activities.
Interpreter services (IS) are available through the Health Care Authority (HCA) for Medicaid health care professionals to gain access to skilled and qualified spoken and sign language interpreters for Apple Health (Medicaid) clients who require access to quality, efficient language during their health care services.
Program eligibility requirements
In order for HCA to pay for interpreter services, the following criteria must be met:
- The client is an eligible Apple Health client.
- Services are covered under the client's benefit package.
- The health care provider is an enrolled HCA Medicaid provider.
HCA will not pay for interpreter services for:
- Inpatient hospital services
- Nursing facility services
- Administrative services
- Answering or responding to general phone inquiries or reminder calls
- family member interpreters
- Other miscellaneous office tasks
Spoken language access providers (LAP) are provided through the HCA's spoken language contractor and are required to be certified, authorized or recognized by Department of Social and Health Services Language Testing and Certification (DSHS-LTC) and provide services within the scope of practice as defined by the interpreter Code of Professional Conduct. Providers may not ask them to perform nonlanguage-related tasks.
Sign language interpreters are provided by master contracts through the Department of Enterprise Services (DES). The Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (ODHH) oversees the master contracts and partners with HCA to improve access to Sign Language (SL) interpreters for Apple Health-enrolled clients.
- Interpreter service billing guide
- Interpreter services data dashboard
- Interpreter service contract K2474
- Interpreter service contract K4724 OPI-VRI
- Sign language master contracts
- Benefit packages
- Collective bargaining agreement
- Contractor Guide for HCA Interpreter Services Program - for use by DES sign language master contractors