Imagine a world where we interact with every life we meet as if we knew their story of hardship and trial—and engaged with them from that knowledge. Welcome to trauma-informed approach (TIA).
What is trauma-informed approach?
Dr. Isaiah Pickens, Ph.D., an expert on cultivating trauma-informed approaches, explains:
For more information
- Concept of trauma and guidance for a trauma-informed approach (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration (SAMHSA)
Learn how to implement a trauma-informed approach in your agency
In 2019, HCA awarded nearly 1.4 million dollars in grants to organizations across the state to build on the trauma-informed work already happening across the state, and to support interest that had been previously unfunded.
To hear more from providers that participated in this initiative and what they learned, watch our webinar on trauma-informed approaches.
Expand your trauma-informed footprint
Use the following list of self-evaluation tools to explore how you can increase trauma-informed approach across your agency.
- Agency self-assessment (Trauma-Informed Care Project)
- Organizational self-assessment: adoption of trauma-informed care practice (National Council for Behavioral Health)
- Trauma-informed care organizational self-assessment for consumer-run recovery organizations (Wisconsin Department of Health Services)
- Creating trauma-informed care environments: an organizational self-assessment (University of South Florida)
- TreSIA self-assessment (ePower and Associates)
- Trauma-informed organizational self-assessment for child abuse prevention agencies (Wisconsin Children’s Trust Fund)
- Shift your perspective trauma-informed care: trauma-informed care (TIC) organizational self assessment
- System of Care (SOC) trauma-informed agency assessment (TIAA) overview
- Trauma-informed organizational toolkit (The National Center on Family Homelessness)
The following online courses on trauma-informed approach (TIA) are available in English and Spanish:
- TIA overview for everyone
- TIA for agency leaders
- TIA for staff
- TIA for supervisors
How do I sign up?
You will use the Bridge app to sign up for training. You must have a Bridge account before you can register for a course.