For newly eligible employees

You must submit your forms (and any supporting documentation) to your payroll or benefits office to enroll no later than 31 days of becoming eligible for SEBB benefits. If you do not enroll, we will enroll you as a single subscriber.

Enroll using SEBB My Account

How do I enroll?

To enroll in medical, dental, and vision coverage, you will use SEBB My Account

When you first log in to SEBB My Account, you will be asked to create a Secure Access Washington (SAW) account for security purposes. If you need help with signing up, read the user guide, or ask your payroll or benefits office for assistance.

If you do not have access to a computer or internet access, ask your payroll or benefits office for a School Employee Enrollment form and any additional required forms. 

For medical, dental, and vision benefits

Use SEBB My Account.

When do I need to submit my elections?

No later than 31 days after you become eligible for SEBB benefits.

For life and AD&D insurance

Basic life and AD&D insurance 

If your employer offers this coverage, we enroll you when you are first eligible. Your employer pays for these benefits.

Name beneficiaries so your benefit goes where you expect. 

Supplemental life and AD&D insurance

To enroll you must use the MetLife MyBenefits portal. Don't have an account? Learn how to create one.

For questions about enrollment in life or AD&D insurance, call MetLife at 1-833-854-9624. Evidence of insurability is not required within the 31-day window.

Where and when do I need to enroll? 

Through MetLife's MyBenefits portal, no later than 31 days after you become eligible for SEBB benefits.

Note: You may choose to enroll in supplemental life and AD&D insurance at any time. If you apply after your 31-day eligibility period or outside of a special open enrollment period, MetLife must approve your request and evidence of insurability will be required.

For long-term disability (LTD) insurance

Employer-paid LTD insurance

If your employer offers this coverage, we enroll you when you are first eligible. Your employer pays for these benefits.

Employee-paid LTD insurance

All employees are automatically enrolled in an employee-paid LTD plan that covers 60 percent of your insured income (up to $16,667) with a 90-day benefit waiting period.

Can I change this? 

Yes. At any time, use SEBB My Account to reduce to a lower-cost 50-percent coverage level or decline the coverage.

Where and when do I submit this change?

Submit your change at any time using SEBB My Account.

Note: If you later decide to enroll in or increase coverage, you will have to provide evidence of insurability and be approved by the insurer. Visit Long-term disability insurance for more information.

For FSA and DCAP benefits

You may enroll in a Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA) or Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP).

Where and when do I enroll?

Through the Navia Benefit Solutions portal no later than 31 days after you become eligible for benefits. Don't have an account? Visit Navia's website to register.

Am I required to enroll?

If you are eligible, yes, you are required to enroll. However, you may waive your enrollment if you are enrolled in another employer-based group medical, a TRICARE plan, or Medicare.

What happens if I waive coverage? 

  • Your dependents will not be enrolled. 
  • You will still be enrolled in SEBB dental. (Exception: You may waive enrollment in SEBB medical to enroll in PEBB medical only if you enroll in PEBB medical and dental. By doing so you waive enrollment in SEBB dental. Visit waive my coverage.

What if I don't enroll?

If you do not enroll or waive your enrollment, you will be automatically enrolled as a single subscriber (no dependents) in the following benefits: 

  • UMP Achieve 1
  • Uniform Dental Plan (UDP)
  • MetLife Vision
  • Basic life and basic AD&D insurance
  • Employer-paid long-term disability (LTD) insurance
  • Employee-paid LTD insurance, unless you decline the coverage. 

The following also apply: 

  • You will be charged a monthly premium for medical coverage and the tobacco use premium surcharge.
  • You cannot change plans or enroll eligible dependents until the next open enrollment, unless you have life event that creates a special open enrollment event that allows the change.

How do I enroll my dependents?

If you enroll your dependents on your SEBB coverage, you must provide proof of your dependents' eligibility within the required enrollment timelines or they will not be enrolled. Visit Verify and enroll dependents.

What if I'm enrolled in Medicare?

If you or any of your dependents are enrolled in Medicare or may soon be, learn more about how Medicare and SEBB benefits work together while you are still employed.


When does coverage begin?

If you are newly eligible (except September 1 through first day of school)

Generally, coverage begins the first day of the month following the date you become eligible. If you become eligible on the first working day of the month, SEBB benefits begin on that day.

If you are eligible September 1 through the first day of school

Coverage begins on your first day of work.

How do I get my plan ID cards?

After you enroll, your health plans will send you an identification (ID) card to show providers when you receive care. If you have questions about your ID card, contact your plan.

The Uniform Dental Plan does not mail ID cards, but you may download one from the the Delta Dental website.


Your payroll or benefits office