HCA has received a high volume of appeals for the School Employees Benefits Board (SEBB) Program. Learn more about the status of your enrollment.
The SEBB Program provides basic life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance at no cost to SEBB benefits-eligible school employees. If eligible, you will automatically be enrolled in basic life and AD&D insurance, even if you waive medical coverage.
Supplemental life and AD&D insurance is also available for purchase. These benefits are provided through MetLife.
On this page
The SEBB Program will provide life insurance to all SEBB benefits-eligible school employees. Eligible school employees will automatically be enrolled in basic life and AD&D insurance coverage, even if you waive medical coverage.
To enroll your eligible dependents in supplemental life and AD&D insurance, you must elect employee supplemental life and AD&D insurance for yourself.
If you are anticipated to work fewer than 630 hours, you may be eligible for some SEBB benefits, including basic life and AD&D insurance. You will not be eligible for supplemental life and AD&D. See How to determine eligibility for more information. If you are a union-represented employee, please check with your union or union contract regarding your eligibility. Otherwise, contact your payroll or benefits office.
Enroll online using MetLife’s MyBenefits portal. If you have questions about enrollment or need to request paper forms, please contact MetLife at 1-833-854-9624. Note: It can take up to 30 days to process the MetLife enrollment/change form.
Create an online account with MetLife
- Visit MetLife’s MyBenefits portal.
A Welcome to MyBenefits screen will appear.
- You should see "WA State Health Care Authority SEBB" in the Account Sign in box.
- If you see "Enter your company name," type "SEBB" (without the quotes) into the field and a dropdown of options should appear. Select "WA State Health Care Authority SEBB."
- Click the Submit button.
This will take you to a Welcome to MyBenefits screen that has Life Insurance and Tools & Resources boxes in the center of the screen and a Not Registered? box on the right.
- If you have visited this link before and completed steps 2 and 3, you will see the Welcome to MyBenefits screen that has Life Insurance and Tools & Resources boxes when you click the MetLife's MyBenefits portal link above.
- In the Not Registered? box on the right, click the Register Now! button.
- Complete the registration form.
- Click the Register button.
- On the next screen, click the Continue button.
You will now see a personalized screen that reads "Your Name, WA State Health Care Authority SEBB" in the upper right, and your registration is complete.
You will receive a “thank you” email from MetLife that includes a link back to the MyBenefits page. If you have questions regarding enrollment or the MetLife website, please contact MetLife at 1-833-854-9624, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. Pacific Time (except for major holidays).
The SEBB Program's benefits package includes basic life and AD&D insurance for all eligible subscribers at no cost to you. It provides:
- $35,000 for death from any cause.
- Up to $5,000 in case of accidental death or dismemberment (AD&D).
As an employee, your basic life insurance covers you and pays your designated beneficiaries in the event of your death. AD&D insurance provides extra benefits for certain injuries or death resulting from a covered accident.
Note: You must name a beneficiary for your basic life and basic AD&D insurance.
If you purchase supplemental life and AD&D insurance for yourself, you may also purchase supplemental life and AD&D insurance for your eligible dependents.
Types of optional coverage
Spouse or state-registered domestic partner
Supplemental life insurance
Up to $500,000 guaranteed issue* in $10,000 increments, up to a maximum of $1,000,000 with evidence of insurability.
Up to $100,000 guaranteed issue* in $5,000 increments to a maximum of $500,000. Evidence of insurability is required above $100,000. Coverage cannot exceed 50% of employee's optional life insurance.
Increments of $5,000 up to $20,000.
Supplemental AD&D insurance
Increments of $10,000 up to $250,000. Supplemental AD&D insurance does not cover death and dismemberment from nonaccidental causes. Supplemental AD&D insurance never requires evidence of insurability, and you can apply at any time.
Increments of $10,000 up to $250,000. Subscriber must be enrolled in supplemental AD&D to purchase it for any dependent.
Increments of $5,000 up to $25,000.
Subscriber must be enrolled in supplemental AD&D to purchase it for any dependent.
*Guaranteed issue is the amount of coverage an employee may select when initially eligible for coverage, within the required enrollment deadlines below, without submitting evidence of insurability to MetLife.
You must name a beneficiary for both basic and supplemental life and AD&D insurance. To name or update a beneficiary, visit MetLife’s MyBenefits website. On your profile page, click Group Life Insurance, then click the Beneficiaries tab. You can also call MetLife at 1-833-854-9624 to request a Group Term Life Insurance Beneficiary Designation form.
You may apply for up to the guaranteed issue amounts of supplemental life insurance without submitting evidence of insurability to MetLife. The deadlines to apply are as follows:
- No later than 31 days after the date you become eligible for SEBB benefits.
- No later than 60 days after the date of marriage or state-registered domestic partnership certification.
- No later than 60 days after the birth or adoption of a child, once the child is 14 days old.
- Once you have enrolled one child in Child Dependent Life Insurance, each succeeding child will automatically be covered for the same amount on the date that child becomes eligible as defined in the certificate of coverage.
If you apply for or increase your employee or spouse/state-registered domestic partner supplemental life insurance coverage amounts outside of the deadlines mentioned above, you must provide evidence of insurability to MetLife for approval.
Requests for coverage over the guaranteed issue amount submitted within the above deadlines will require evidence of insurability only for the amount over the guaranteed issue. If the additional amount is denied, the enrollee will be covered for the guaranteed issue amount.
If you are eligible for SEBB benefits, you cannot waive life and AD&D insurance. However, you have two options if you object to this coverage:
- You can name a charity as your beneficiary.
- On your enrollment form, you can leave the beneficiary information blank. Tell your family and anyone who might be handling your estate not to file a claim on your death. If you choose not to identify a beneficiary, the benefit amount will be turned over to the state as abandoned property.
If you are eligible for portability or conversion due to termination or other reasons, MetLife will send you information and an application.
Under the Portability Provision, you can apply to continue your active employee basic and supplemental life insurance until age 100 if certain conditions are met.
You must be actively enrolled in coverage to have the opportunity to continue all or part of your coverage through portability.
You may also apply to continue your dependent basic life insurance and your spouse or state-registered domestic partner supplemental life insurance at the same time you apply to continue your own life insurance. You may continue life insurance for your dependents even if you choose not to continue your life insurance.
To continue life insurance under the Portability Provision, you must apply to MetLife no later than 60 days after the date your SEBB Program life insurance ends. Any amount of life insurance not ported may be converted.
Conversion of Life Insurance Provision
You may convert your basic life, supplemental life, spouse or state-registered domestic partner life, or dependent life insurance to an individual policy.
The amount of the individual policy will be equal to (or if you choose, less than) the amount of life insurance you or your insured dependents had on the termination date of the policy you are converting.
You must apply to continue your coverage under the Conversion of Life Insurance Provision. You have 60 days to apply for conversion coverage after your employee life insurance ends. Contact MetLife directly at 1-833-854-9624 with any questions.
To cancel (terminate) your supplemental life or supplemental AD&D insurance, send MetLife’s cancellation of supplemental life and AD&D insurance form to:
MetLife Recordkeeping Center
PO Box 14406
Lexington, KY 40512-4406
Yes, our basic and supplemental life insurance plans have an accelerated benefits option. If a subscriber becomes terminally ill and is expected to die within 24 months, they can request to receive a portion of their life insurance benefit before their death.
- Subscribers may receive up to 80 percent of their basic life benefit amount, not to exceed $28,000.
- Subscribers may receive up to 80 percent of their combined basic life and supplemental life benefit amount, not to exceed $500,000.
- This option is also available for spouse or state-registered domestic partner dependent life insurance.
Employees enrolled in basic life can take advantage of a suite of additional services at no charge to the employee. They include beneficiary claim assistance, digital storage, funeral assistance, grief counseling, life settlement account, online will preparation, transition solutions, and travel assistance.
Additionally, employees enrolled in supplemental life insurance through MetLife can take advantage of MetLife’s will preparation and estate resolution services at no additional cost.
For enrollment, premium payments, benefits or plan details
Online: MetLife MyBenefits
Phone: 1-833-854-9624, benefits specialists available Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Pacific - except for the major holidays)
- Customer support for questions about your account, benefit options, claims, beneficiaries, and billing
- 24/7 automated customer support to order forms, confirm coverage, and verify beneficiaries