Due to COVID-19, HCA’s lobby is closed. Learn more about your customer service options.
The PEBB Program provides basic life and basic accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance at no cost to employees enrolled in the full benefits package. You can also enroll in supplemental life and AD&D insurance for yourself and your eligible dependents. Learn more on MetLife's website.
On this page
- Who is eligible?
- Basic life and AD&D insurance
- Supplemental life and AD&D insurance
- When can I enroll in supplemental life insurance?
- How do I designate or update my beneficiary information?
- Can I waive life or AD&D insurance?
- What are MetLife Advantages?
- If I leave employment, can I continue life insurance coverage?
- How do I cancel my supplemental life and/or AD&D insurance through MetLife?
Eligible members include employees of:
- State agencies
- Higher-education institutions (including community and technical colleges)
- Employees who work for a PEBB Program-participating educational service district, tribal government, or employer group that offers both PEBB Program medical and dental coverage. Contact your payroll or benefits office to see if this is part of your benefits package.
These benefits are not available to employees who are only offered medical benefits. Contact your payroll or benefits office to see if this is part of your benefits package.
The PEBB Program's full employee benefits package includes basic life and basic AD&D insurance to eligible members through Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (MetLife). As an employee, your basic life insurance covers you and pays your designated beneficiaries in the event of your death. Basic AD&D insurance provides extra benefits for certain injuries or death resulting from a covered accident.
You will be automatically enrolled in these benefits, even if you waive medical coverage. You do not need to provide a statement of health (proof of good health).
These benefits provide:
- $35,000 for basic life insurance.
- $5,000 for basic AD&D insurance.
You can also enroll in supplemental life and supplemental AD&D insurance for yourself and your eligible dependents. To enroll your eligible dependents in supplemental life and AD&D insurance, you must elect employee supplemental life insurance for yourself.
You may enroll in supplemental life insurance and supplemental AD&D insurance for yourself and your eligible dependents. Employee supplemental coverage is not available to retirees.
Employees must enroll in supplemental life insurance to enroll dependents in supplemental life insurance. See Life insurance premiums for the cost of supplemental life and AD&D insurance.
|Types of supplemental coverage||Employee (subscriber)||Spouse or state-registered domestic partner||Children
(14 days up to 26 years)
Supplemental life insurance
Increments of $10,000 up to $500,000 guaranteed issue*, up to a maximum of $1,000,000 with Statement of Health.
Increments of $5,000 up to $100,000 guaranteed issue*, up to a maximum of $500,000 with Statement of Health. Coverage cannot exceed 50% of employee's supplemental life insurance.
Increments of $5,000 up to $20,000 with no Statement of Health.
Supplemental AD&D insurance
Increments of $10,000 up to $250,000.
Supplemental AD&D Insurance never requires Statement of Health, and you can apply at any time.
Increments of $10,000 up to $250,000
Increments of $5,000 up to $25,000
*Guaranteed issue is the amount of coverage an employee may select when initially eligible for coverage, within the required deadlines below, without submitting a Statement of Health to MetLife.
You may enroll in supplemental life insurance or supplemental dependent life insurance anytime. The guaranteed issue amounts are available for supplemental life insurance and dependent life insurance without submitting a Statement of Health when your enrollment is no later than:
- 31 days after the date you become eligible for PEBB benefits.
- 60 days after the date of marriage or state domestic partnership registration.
- 60 days after the birth or adoption of a child. A newly born child must be at least 14 days old before supplemental dependent life insurance coverage is effective.
Once you have enrolled one child in dependent life insurance, each succeeding child will automatically be covered for the same amount on the date that child becomes eligible, as defined in MetLife’s Certificate of Coverage.
If you apply for or change your employee or spouse or state-registered domestic partner supplemental life insurance coverage amounts after the deadline, you must provide a Statement of Health to MetLife for approval, regardless of the coverage amount requested.
Requests for coverage over the guaranteed issue amount submitted within the above deadlines will require a Statement of Health for the amount over the guaranteed issue. If the additional amount is denied, the employee or dependent will be enrolled in the guaranteed issue amount.
How do I enroll?
Create an account on MetLife’s MyBenefits portal. If you are unable to access MetLife's MyBenefits portal, you can request a MetLife Enrollment/Change form by calling MetLife or contacting your payroll or benefits office.
To create an online account with MetLife
- Visit MetLife’s MyBenefits portal. A Welcome to MyBenefits screen will appear.
- You will see "WA State Health Care Authority PEBB" in the Log in box. Select the Register now button.
- Complete the registration form to create your login credentials.
- After registering, select Go to Accounts in the registration confirmation pop-up.
If you have questions about enrollment or the MetLife website, or need a form, please contact please contact MetLife at 1-866-548-7139, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Pacific).
You must name a beneficiary for both basic and supplemental life and AD&D insurance. To name or update a beneficiary, visit MetLife’s MyBenefits. On your profile page, click Group Life Insurance, then click the Beneficiaries tab. You can also call MetLife at 1-866-548-7139 to request a Group Term Life Insurance Beneficiary Designation form.
If you are eligible for PEBB benefits, you cannot waive life and AD&D insurance. However, you have two options if you object to this coverage:
- You can name a charity as your beneficiary.
- On your enrollment form, you can leave the beneficiary information blank. Tell your family and anyone who might be handling your estate not to file a claim on your death. If you choose not to identify a beneficiary, the benefit amount will be paid as outlined in the Certificate of Coverage.
Employees with life insurance through MetLife can take advantage of MetLife’s comprehensive suite of services at no additional cost. Employees enrolled in supplemental life insurance also have access to Will Preparation Services and Estate Resolution Services. Learn more on MetLife's website.
If you are eligible for portability or conversion due to termination or other reasons, MetLife will send you information and an application. When porting or converting your employee life insurance coverage, your coverage will become an individual policy that is not tied to the PEBB Program. Contact MetLife directly at 1-866-548-7139 with any questions.
Under the Portability Provision, you can apply to continue all or part of your active employee basic life, supplemental life, and dependent life insurance.
You must be actively enrolled and apply within 60 days from when your coverage ended to have the opportunity to continue your coverage through portability.
Dependent child and spouse or state-registered domestic partner life insurance may be continued, even if you choose not to continue your life insurance.
Any amount of life insurance not ported may be converted.
Conversion of Life Insurance Provision
You may apply to convert your basic life, supplemental life, spouse or state-registered domestic partner, or dependent child life insurance to an individual policy. The amount of the individual policy will be equal to (or, if you choose, less than) the amount of life insurance you or your insured dependents had on the termination date of the policy you are converting.
You have 60 days to apply for conversion coverage after your PEBB employee life insurance ends.
To cancel your supplemental life and/or AD&D insurance, you must complete MetLife’s cancellation of supplemental life insurance form and send it to:
MetLife Recordkeeping Center
PO Box 14406
Lexington, KY 40512-4406
For enrollment, premium payments, benefits or plan details
Online: MetLife MyBenefits
Phone: 1-866-548-7139, benefits specialists available Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Pacific - except for the major holidays)
- Customer support for questions about your account, benefit options, claims, beneficiaries, and billing
- 24/7 automated customer support to order forms, confirm coverage, and verify beneficiaries