Due to COVID-19, HCA’s lobby is closed. Learn more about your customer service options.
Contractor and provider resources
This page contains a variety of behavioral health resources for contractors, providers, and partners.
Important: Effective July 1, 2018, licensing and certification of behavioral health agencies and the Directory of Certified Behavioral Health Services moved to the Department of Health (DOH). Visit the DOH Behavioral Health Agencies page for more information.
BHDS: a new reporting tool
Washington State is moving from a fee-for-service (FFS) to a managed care model for substance use disorder (SUD) treatment services. As a part of this move, the Health Care Authority (HCA) developed and implemented the BHDS to incorporate integrated behavioral health and substance abuse data, storage, and supporting reporting functions.
The BHDS includes data from two legacy systems:
- The Treatment and Assessment Reports Generation Tool (TARGET), covering SUD clients and services.
- The Mental Health Consumer Information System (MH-CIS), covering community mental health clients and services.
BHDS data guide
The data guide contains reporting requirements for managed care organizations (MCOs) and behavioral health-administrative services organizations (BH-ASOs) to meet the Health Care Authority’s (HCA) Division of Behavioral Health and Recovery’s (DBHR) state and federal reporting requirements related to funding.
- BHDS provider reporting tool
- Guidance on closing service and authorizations (effective 6/25/2020)
- BHDS change summary 4.1 to 4.2 (effective 02/08/2021)
- BHDS data guide version 4.2 (effective 02/08/2021)
- BHDS change summary 4.0 to 4.1
- BHDS change summary 3.0 to 4.0 (effective 6/10/2020)
- BHDS change summary
- BHDS supplemental data, FAQ
- BHDS data guide version 4.1 (effective 7/16/2020)
- BHDS data guide version 4.0 (effective 6/9/2020)
- BHDS data guide version 3.1 (effective 4/1/2020)
- BHDS data guide version 3.0 (effective 3/1/2020
- BHDS data guide version 3.0 - supplemental (January 2020)
- BHDS data guide version 2.2 (effective 4/1/2018)
- BHDS data guide version 2.1 (effective 4/1/2017)
- Behavioral Health Data System (BHDS) data guide
- FFS program checklist for AI/AN
- Provider Entry Portal (PEP) user guide
- PEP training webinar
- Sample batch file
- PEP data backup file
- Tutorial for PEP administrators to register as an AI/AN agency
- Tutorial for PEP proxies to complete registration as an AI/AN
- Tutorial for PEP primary/backup staff
- Treatment and Assessment Report Generation Tool (TARGET)