As of Wednesday, March 18, HCA’s lobby is closed. In-person customer services for Apple Health and the PEBB and SEBB Programs will not be available. Learn more.
Contractor and provider resources
This page contains a variety of behavioral health resources for contractors, providers, and partners.
Important: Effective July 1, 2018, licensing and certification of behavioral health agencies and the Directory of Certified Behavioral Health Services moved to the Department of Health (DOH). Visit the DOH Behavioral Health Agencies page for more information.
On this page
BHDS: a new reporting tool
Washington State is moving from a fee-for-service (FFS) to a managed care model for substance use disorder (SUD) treatment services. As a part of this move, the Health Care Authority (HCA) developed and implemented the BHDS to incorporate integrated behavioral health and substance abuse data, storage, and supporting reporting functions.
The BHDS includes data from two legacy systems:
- The Treatment and Assessment Reports Generation Tool (TARGET), covering SUD clients and services.
- The Mental Health Consumer Information System (MH-CIS), covering community mental health clients and services.
BHDS data guide
The data guide contains reporting requirements for managed care organizations (MCOs) and behavioral health-administrative services organizations (BH-ASOs) to meet the Health Care Authority’s (HCA) Division of Behavioral Health and Recovery’s (DBHR) state and federal reporting requirements related to funding.
- BHDS change summary
- BHDS supplemental data, FAQ
- BHDS data guide version 3.1 (effective 4/1/2020)
- BHDS data guide version 3.0 (effective 3/1/2020
- BHDS data guide version 3.0 - supplemental (January 2020)
- BHDS data guide version 2.2 (effective 4/1/2018)
- BHDS data guide version 2.1 (effective 4/1/2017)
- Behavioral Health Data System (BHDS) data guide
- FFS program checklist for AI/AN
- Provider Entry Portal (PEP) user guide
- PEP training webinar
- Sample batch file
- PEP data backup file
- Tutorial for PEP administrators to register as an AI/AN agency
- Tutorial for PEP proxies to complete registration as an AI/AN
- Tutorial for PEP primary/backup staff
- Treatment and Assessment Report Generation Tool (TARGET)
SCOPE is a reporting tool that allows you to run both mental health and substance use related reports based on the CIS and TARGET data.
SCOPE gives users several analysis tools and features:
- Charting: after generating custom tables in the analyzer, most of you have the option of viewing the results as a chart. Vertical or horizontal bar charts, grouped bar charts, and line plots are all available.
- Saved queries: for routine monitoring, many of you run the same query month after month as the data is updated. SCOPE allows you to save queries and rerun them with a single click of a mouse.
- Expanded access: regardless of your role in the treatment system, if you are a registered user of SCOPE you will be able to generate results for the state as a whole, any county or BHO in the state, and any treatment agency. To protect patient confidentiality, if you are generating results for a county or agency you are not associated with, the results will be rounded to the nearest multiple of five.