Interpreter services (clients)

As a Washington Apple Health (Medicaid) client, you are entitled to language access services whenever you attend a health care appointment. We are committed to ensuring you receive these services from qualified interpreters.

Do you have language access or ADA questions or need to file a complaint?

Clients rights to service

Your health care provider is required to provide spoken and sign language access according to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

If your provider refuses to provide language access services, it can be considered discrimination. (Learn more information about nondiscrimination.)

Save the date

The Washington State Health Care Authority (HCA) will hold a stakeholder meeting with the Deaf, DeafBlind, Hard of Hearing, Late Deafened, and Deaf Plus Community on Thursday June 30, 2022 from 1–3 p.m. The meeting will be hosted virtually via Zoom. Anyone may attend who is interested in providing feedback on the sign language interpreter request process or who would like to learn more information about these services. Interpreters will be provided.

How to register

You must register for the meeting to attend. Complete the registration survey to register.

How do I get an interpreter?

Let your health care provider know you need an interpreter when you schedule your appointment. Your health care provider will reach out to Health Care Authority's (HCA) interpreter services contractors to schedule an interpreter. All interpreter services are provided through an HCA-approved vendor. No additional action is required by you.

Spoken Language

HCA uses UniversalLanguage Services to coordinate spoken language in-person, over-the-phone (OPI), and video remote interpreting (VRI) requests. Let your provider know if you need an interpreter for your appointment. Your provider is responsible for requesting an interpreter for your health care appointments.

If you have questions, visit the HCA Interpreter services (providers) webpage.

Sign Language

HCA uses the State's Master Contract to schedule sign language interpreters. This contract allows virtual interpreting. If you need an interpreter for your appointment, you may continue to schedule appointments as needed. Your provider is responsible for requesting an in-person or virtual (for telehealth) interpreter based on the type of appointment you have.

You can give your provider the Preferred Sign Language Interpreter List form, to help them understand your communication needs when requesting an interpreter.

If you have questions, visit the DSHS ODHH website​.

What does my health care provider need to do?

Providers need to request an interpreter through HCA's interpreter services program. They can visit the interpreter services webpage for providers or contact HCA's interpreter services for help.