As of Wednesday, March 18, HCA’s lobby is closed. In-person customer services for Apple Health and the PEBB and SEBB Programs will not be available. Learn more.
Family Planning Only
Find information about free family planning services from the Family Planning Only program (formerly known as Take Charge).
On this page
Family Planning Only is a program that provides men and women coverage for family planning services to help them take charge of their lives and prevent unintended pregnancies.
(On May 9, 2018 the Health Care Authority (the Agency) received approval for renewal of the Section 1115 Family Planning Only Demonstration Waiver for five years (through June 2023). The approval letter, Special Terms and Conditions, and Expenditure Authority can be found on CMS’s website under Washington Family Planning Only Program and then clicking on “Demonstration Approval.” For questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Your income must be at or below 260 percent of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) and you must be either:
- Uninsured and not eligible for Apple Health (Medicaid) coverage.
- Insured and seeking confidential family planning services.
First, go to Washington Healthplanfinder to see if you are eligible for Apple Health coverage or a subsidized Qualified Health Plan. If you're eligible, sign up for one of those plans. They provide full health care coverage, which includes family planning.
If you're a teen you may be eligible for Apple Health coverage on your own. Call Washington Healthplanfinder at 1-855-923-4633 to find out if you're eligible. Read more information about health coverage for teens and young adults.
If you're not eligible for Apple Health or you need confidential services, contact your Apple Health provider and apply for benefits over the phone or in-person with an eligible Apple Health provider.
You can also apply by fax (1-866-841-2267), email (email@example.com), telephone with HCA (1-800-562-3022) or mail (HCA MEDS, PO Box 45531, Olympia, WA 98504-5531) without provider assistance. In that case, you should make sure you transmit or mail the application securely. Family Planning Only programs family planning services are available through any Apple Health provider.
Family planning and related services cover:
- Family planning education and risk reduction counseling.
- All FDA approved birth control methods including: pills, patches, rings, shots, IUDs, implants, diaphragms, cervical caps, condoms, and spermicides (foam, cream, and gels), and emergency contraception.
- Education and supplies for natural family planning and abstinence.
- Permanent methods: tubal ligations ("tubes tied"), hysteroscopic sterilization, and vasectomy.
- Limited screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs, STDs).
- Screening for cervical cancer and a well woman physical exam.
- Office visits directly related to a family planning problem when medically necessary.
Family Planning Only does not cover:
- Services unrelated to family planning, such as: follow-up of abnormal Pap smears, pregnancy care, evaluation and treatment of health problems like diabetes, asthma, or high blood pressure.
Services are available at any eligible Apple Health provider.
Condoms and spermicides (contraceptive foam, cream, gel) are available at pharmacies without a prescription.
Emergency Contraception is available at any eligible Apple Health provider or directly from a pharmacist. For more information, visit the Emergency Contraception website.
Ask your health care provider for information about birth control methods.
Other resources are available for:
- Birth control methods (Washington State Department of Health (DOH))
- Breastfeeding and birth control (DOH)
- Information about birth control (Bedsider)
If you live in King County visit: