Family Planning Only

Find information about free family planning services from the Family Planning Only program (formerly known as Take Charge).

What is Family Planning Only?

Family Planning Only is a program that provides men and women coverage for family planning services to help them take charge of their lives and prevent unintended pregnancies.

(On May 9, 2018 the Health Care Authority (the Agency) received approval for renewal of the Section 1115 Family Planning Only Demonstration Waiver for five years (through June 2023). The approval letter, Special Terms and Conditions, and Expenditure Authority can be found on CMS’s website under Washington Family Planning Only Program and then clicking on “Demonstration Approval.” For questions please contact

Am I eligible?

Your income must be at or below 260 percent of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) and you must be either:

  • Uninsured and not eligible for Apple Health (Medicaid) coverage.
  • Insured and seeking confidential family planning services.

Family Planning Only is not available for undocumented or "nonqualified" residents. (WAC 182-503-0535)

How do I apply?

First, go to Washington Healthplanfinder to see if you are eligible for Apple Health coverage or a subsidized Qualified Health Plan. If you're eligible, sign up for one of those plans. They provide full health care coverage, which includes family planning.

If you're a teen you may be eligible for Apple Health coverage on your own. Call Washington Healthplanfinder at 1-855-923-4633 to find out if you're eligible. Read more information about health coverage for teens and young adults.

If you're not eligible for Apple Health or you need confidential services, contact a Family Planning Only provider near you and make an appointment to get an application and learn about available services.

What services are covered?

Family planning and related services cover:

  • Family planning education and risk reduction counseling.
  • All FDA approved birth control methods including: pills, patches, rings, shots, IUDs, implants, diaphragms, cervical caps, condoms, and spermicides (foam, cream, and gels), and emergency contraception.
  • Education and supplies for natural family planning and abstinence.
  • Permanent methods: tubal ligations ("tubes tied"), hysteroscopic sterilization, and vasectomy.
  • Limited screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs, STDs).
  • Screening for cervical cancer and a well woman physical exam.
  • Office visits directly related to a family planning problem when medically necessary.

Family Planning Only does not cover:

  • Vaccinations.
  • Mammograms.
  • Services unrelated to family planning, such as: follow-up of abnormal Pap smears, pregnancy care, evaluation and treatment of health problems like diabetes, asthma, or high blood pressure.

Where can I get services?

Services are available at Apple Health providers qualified to offer family planning services

Condoms and spermicides (contraceptive foam, cream, gel) are available at pharmacies without a prescription.

Emergency Contraception is available at a Family Planning Only provider or directly from a pharmacist. For more information, visit the Emergency Contraception website.  

Where can I get more information about birth control methods?

Ask your health care provider for information about birth control methods.

Other resources are available for:

If you live in King County visit: