HCA’s lobby is now open for walk-in customer service. Learn about customer service options.
Change your coverage
Learn how and when to make changes to your coverage. Most changes can be made during annual open enrollment or during a special open enrollment.
Do I need to use Workday? If you work for Pierce County, Washington State University, or the University of Washington you must make changes through Workday.
Before you make a change to your health plan, it is important to:
- Make sure the health plan is available in your area.
- Check the plan’s provider directory or contact your plan to make sure your provider is in the plan’s network.
- Compare monthly plan costs (premiums).
- Compare benefits and your costs for care (deductibles, coinsurance, and/or copays).
Other plan change requirements
- You can only change medical or dental plans during open enrollment or if a special open enrollment event occurs.
- All eligible dependents must enroll in the same health plan. (Dependents can have different providers.)
- You may be enrolled in only one medical or dental plan. If you and your spouse or state-registered domestic partner are both eligible subscribers, you need to choose which of you will cover yourselves and your eligible children (including adult children who are also eligible for PEBB coverage as an employee). Enrolled dependents will be listed on one account, not both. However, if you waive enrollment in medical, you must enroll in dental, basic life, basic AD&D insurance, and employer-paid LTD insurance under your own account. You will also be enrolled in employee-paid LTD insurance.
Changes you can make during our annual open enrollment
Your payroll or benefits office must receive the appropriate PEBB Employee Enrollment/Change form during open enrollment. You may also make some changes using PEBB My Account. The enrollment change will become effective January 1 of the following year.
During open enrollment you can:
- Change medical or dental plans.
- Add or remove eligible dependents.
- Enroll in a medical plan, if you previously waived medical.
- Waive enrollment in PEBB medical if you have or are enrolling in other employer-based group medical insurance, a TRICARE plan, or Medicare effective January 1. (Coverage through the Health Benefit Exchange is not group coverage.)
- Attest to the spouse or state-registered domestic partner coverage premium surcharge.
- Enroll or reenroll in a Medical Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA), Limited Purpose FSA, or Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP) (PEBB benefits-eligible state agency and higher-education employees only).
- Change your election under the state’s premium payment plan.
Can I make any changes online?
Yes. During open enrollment you can make the following changes online using PEBB My Account or through Workday.
- Change your medical and/or dental plans.
- Waive medical coverage if you are enrolled in other employer-based group medical insurance, a TRICARE plan, or Medicare (coverage through the Health Benefit Exchange is not group coverage).
- Remove dependents from your coverage.
- Reattest to the spouse or state-registered domestic partner coverage premium surcharge.
Please print or save your confirmation page when you’ve completed your changes. Check back in two business days to verify the coverage you selected and your spousal or state-registered domestic partner coverage premium surcharge attestation is correct.
When you submit an online plan change, please wait two business days to make any additional online plan changes.
Changes you can make at any time
There are some changes you can make during the year outside of annual open enrollment or a special open enrollment event.
- Change your name and/or address by notifying your payroll or benefits office.
- Remove dependents from coverage due to loss of eligibility. Your payroll or benefits office must receive the PEBB Employee Enrollment/Change form within 60 days of the last day of the month the dependent loses eligibility for health plan coverage. You may also need to provide proof of the event before the dependent can be removed.
- Change your life insurance beneficiary information. See the Life insurance page for details.
- Apply for, cancel, or change coverage amounts for supplemental life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance. See the Life insurance page for details.
- Apply for, cancel, or change Auto or home insurance coverage.
- Reduce coverage level, decline coverage, or enroll in employee-paid long-term disability insurance. Submit the Long-Term Disability Insurance Enrollment/Change form to your payroll or benefits office. If you later decide to enroll in or increase coverage, you will have to provide evidence of insurability and be approved by the insurer.
- Start, stop, or change your contribution to your health savings account (HSA). Use the Employee Authorization for Payroll Deduction to Health Savings Account form.
- Change your HSA beneficiary information. Use the Health Savings Account Beneficiary Designation form.
- Make changes to your tobacco use premium surcharge attestation. Use the Premium Surcharge Attestation Change form or log in to PEBB My Account.
You must submit the appropriate forms to your payroll or benefits office during annual open enrollment or when a special open enrollment event occurs.
Note: Pierce County, Washington State University, and University of Washington employees must make changes through Workday.