What we're working on
Through our Medicaid Transformation Project (MTP) work, we are creating and continue to develop projects, activities, and services that improve Washington’s health care system. Our MTP goals and initiatives benefit those enrolled in Apple Health (Medicaid).
- Focusing on whole-person care, where a person can access care for their mind, body, and substance use disorder (SUD) in one system through a network of providers. (This is also called integrated managed care.)
- Improving how we pay for services by moving from a fee-for-service approach to paying for health and value through value-based purchasing.
- Building healthier communities with local and regional partners.
- Implementing projects focused on improving health equity.
- Supporting older adults and family caregivers.
- Helping our most vulnerable population get and keep stable housing and employment.
- Improving access to SUD treatment and treatment facilities.
- Improving access for mental health inpatient care and treatment options.
We will accomplish our goals through these initiatives:
- Initiative 1: transformation through ACHs and IHCPs: Accountable Communities of Health (ACHs) and Indian Health Care Providers (IHCPs) are implementing projects that change the way people receive health care in their region.
- Initiative 2: supporting older adults and family caregivers: supports Washington’s aging population and family caregivers who provide care for their loved ones.
- Initiative 3: Foundational Community Supports (FCS): provides supportive housing and supported employment services to our most vulnerable Medicaid enrollees.
- Initiative 4: substance use disorder (SUD) IMD: allows Washington State to use federal funds to pay for people receiving SUD treatment in a mental health or SUD facility that qualifies as an institution for mental diseases (IMD). IMDs are large facilities dedicated to psychiatric care (more than 16 beds where more than 50 percent of the residents are admitted for psychiatric care).
- Initiative 5: mental health IMD: allows Washington State to purchase inpatient services for Medicaid clients residing in a dedicated psychiatric facility that qualifies as an IMD.