As of Wednesday, March 18, HCA’s lobby will be closed. In-person customer services for Apple Health and the PEBB and SEBB Programs will not be available. Learn more.
On this page
As an Endorsing Practitioner, the Washington PDL tells you what drugs can be therapeutically interchanged for another drug. If you are looking for the preferred status of a drug, please check the specific program website.
- Uniform Medical Plan (UMP)
- Washington Apple Health (Medicaid)
- The Department of Labor and Industries (L&I)
On the Washington PDL each program's status is listed separately. Preferred or not covered is noted, if a status is left blank the drug is nonpreferred.
2020 Washington PDL
2019 Washington PDL
Below are the Therapeutic Interchange Program announcements and updates to drug classes covered under the Washington Preferred Drug List.
- 2/21/2020- Estrogen
- 1/1/2020- TIMs
- 1/1/2020- Anticoagulants, Asthma Biologics, CGRP
- 1/1/2020- Asthma quick relief
Defining a drug’s “preferred” or “nonpreferred” status on the PDL:
- A “preferred” drug on the PDL is not subject to the Therapeutic Interchange Program (TIP).
- A “nonpreferred” drug on the PDL is subject to TIP when it is included in a Drug Effectiveness Review Project (DERP) report. If the prescription is written by an endorsing practitioner, a pharmacist will substitute the "nonpreferred" drug for a preferred drug in that class.
- If a drug is part of a PDL drug class, but it has not been reviewed by DERP, it is considered "nonpreferred". It is not subject to TIP or dispense as written (DAW), and will be covered according to each program's benefit design.
Archived drug classes
- If a drug classes is noted as archived under comments, the drug class will remain on the PDL and the committee's last motion will remain in effect until changed by the committee. The agencies may conduct updated cost analyses of these drug classes without additional committee approval so long as any resulting changes in the preferred status of a drug remains consistent with the committee's last motion for that drug class.
- The committee may review the archive status of a drug class upon its own initiative, or by request of the participating agencies at any time.