Important: Stay covered! Are you enrolled in Apple Health (Medicaid) coverage? Make sure your address and phone number are up to date so you can stay enrolled. Report a change.
Apple Health for Refugees
Purpose: To describe the program rules for the refugee medical program.
For clients under age 65 who are refugees or have other eligible immigration statuses, HCA determines eligibility for modified adjusted gross income (MAGI)-based Apple Health programs first.
- Applications for medical assistance should be submitted through Healthplanfinder. If you experience an issue when submitting the application, complete a paper application and fax to HCA at 360-725-1158, to the attention VOLAG or emailed HCAWAHRMAapps@hca.wa.gov and include:
- Primary applicant name
- Healthplanfinder app ID
- Managed care organization (MCO) plan selection (optional)
- Error code (if any)
- If applicant is ineligible for MAGI-based Apple Health, they should be referred to DSHS for screening for Classic Medicaid or Refugee Medical Assistance (RMA) program. For clients over age 65 who are refugees or have other eligible immigration statuses, DSHS determines eligibility.
- For Refugee/Asylee (defined as a Refugee, Asylee, Amerasian, and Cuban Haitian Entrants, Special Immigrants Visa holders from Iraq and Afghanistan, and Victims of Trafficking) who are under 65 years old or aged, blind and/or disabled - completed applications for medical assistance should be faxed to HCA at 360-725-1158, to the attention of VOLAG or emailed to HCAWAHRMAapps@hca.wa.gov.
- Refugee and other eligible immigration status applicants who are over 65 years or older, blind, or disabled do not need to be denied MAGI-based Apple Health. These applicants should be referred directly to DSHS for screening for Classic Medicaid. Applications can be completed in person at a local CSO, online at Washington Connection, or faxed to CSD at 1-888-338-7410 to be screened for Classic Medicaid.