Due to COVID-19, HCA’s lobby is closed. Learn more about your customer service options.
Public disclosure requests
You can request to view or obtain a copy of the Health Care Authority’s (HCA) public records by submitting a request for public disclosure.
As of March 24, 2020: HCA is processing public disclosure requests in compliance with the Governor’s Proclamation, 20-28. If you have questions about this change, please contact HCA’s Public Disclosure office using one of the methods listed on this page.
On this page
There are two types of records requests you can make:
- Request for public disclosure
Records about HCA's operations and programs.
- Request for client records
Records related to a specific HCA client.
Other commonly requested records and information
- Health care claims-based data: Most health care claims data is exempt from disclosure under Chapter 42.56 RCW. To request health care claims data, submit a data request to the Washington State All Payer Claim Database (WA-APCD).
- Research requests: Find information on how to submit a research request for data related to clients or other specific pieces of data on the Washington State Institutional Review Board (WSIRB).
- HCA reports and other data products: For health enrollment reports, legislative reports, budget information, and agency data dashboards, visit Data and reports.
- Contracting opportunities: Visit Bids and contracts for information about contracting opportunities with HCA and to view current requests for application (RFA), requests for information (RFI), and requests for proposals (RFP).
- HCA budget information: See Budget information.
- Types of records HCA retains: For information about the types of records HCA retains, see the HCA Records Retention Schedule (in PDF or Word format) located on the Office of the Secretary of State's State Agencies Records Retention Schedules webpage.
Submit a request via our secure, online public disclosure request portal.
Email, in-person, mail, or fax
Download and complete the appropriate form:
Submit either request using any of the following methods:
- Email: email@example.com
Cherry Street Plaza
626 8th Ave
Olympia, WA 98501
P.O. Box 42704
Olympia WA 98504-2704
- Fax: 360-507-9068
For us to respond as quickly as possible, please provide as much information about the records as possible.
Can I call in my request?
Yes. To make a request by phone, call:
When you call, please have the following information available:
- Contact information (such as name, address, email, telephone)
- Description/information about the records you're seeking (such as locations, dates, specific names, subject, etc.)
No. There is no fee required to submit a request. However, you may be charged copy fees for public records, responsive to your request.
Find information about the types of fees charged for public records.
We will acknowledge your request within five (5) business days.
If we cannot provide the records within five business days, we may ask additional questions to:
- Understand exactly what you need, or
- Provide you with an estimate of the time we need to search for and produce the records.
We carefully evaluate requests for public records to determine if we can legally release the records for the reasons given. If we must deny your request, we will send you an explanation of why the request was denied and list the specific law that exempts the records from disclosure.
Certain types of information about the Health Care Authority’s (HCA) clients cannot be made available. To find out more about patient and client privacy protections under federal law, visit HCA's privacy page.