As of Wednesday, March 18, HCA’s lobby is closed. In-person customer services for Apple Health and the PEBB and SEBB Programs will not be available. Learn more.
Health Technology Assessment
Washington's Health Technology Assessment (HTA) program uses scientific evidence to determine if health services are safe and effective.
HTA serves Washington citizens by ensuring that certain medical devices, procedures, and tests paid for with state health care dollars are safe and proven to work.
About the program
We develop and make available scientific, evidence-based reports on selected medical devices, procedures, and tests. We support the independent Health Technology Clinical Committee (HTCC) in their work.
- Is composed of community health care practitioners.
- Makes coverage decisions that apply to state purchased health care programs.
- Uses the HTA reports and other information to determine the conditions for coverage.
How do I...
- Make health care safer by relying on scientific evidence and a committee of practicing clinicians.
- Ensure consistent coverage decisions for state agencies.
- Help make state-purchased health care more cost effective by paying for medical tools and procedures that are proven to work.
- Ensure the coverage decision process is open and inclusive by holding public meetings, sharing information, and publishing decision criteria and outcomes.