Community Health Worker (CHW) Grant
The Health Care Authority (HCA) received $2,087,000 in general state funds for primary care clinics serving children and youth birth through age 18 years old to hire community health workers for their organization.
All eligible pediatric primary care centers are encouraged to apply between August 22 and October 3 for grant funds.
HCA is administering a two-year grant program (January 2023 to January 2025) for primary care organizations primarily serving children and youth (birth through 18 years old) to hire community health workers to serve children, youth and their families through outreach, informal counseling, and social supports for health-related social needs.
HCA anticipates an additional $6 million to be appropriated during the next legislative session to support the grant in the next biennium. View Engrossed Substitute Senate Bill 5693, Section 211 (103) for more information.
Who can apply?
Primary Care organizations can apply for funding if their primary patients are:
- Children and youth (birth through 18 years old)
- Enrolled in medical assistance (RCW 74.09)
Clinics will be able to apply for two distinct CHW roles:
- Early relational health (birth – 5 years) community health worker (ERH CHW)
- K12 mental health (5 – 18 years) community health worker (K12 CHW)
- August 22 – Application is available and posted online
- October 3 – Application deadline (5 p.m., Pacific)
- October 29 – "Apparent Successful Applicants" announced and notified via email and posted on our website
- TBD – Awards are disbursed
- November – HCA finalizes contracts, awardees begin recruiting
- January 2, 2023 – Estimated contract start date
Request for Applications (RFA)
HCA has posted the RFA# 2022HCA24 – Community Health Workers (CHW) Grant. Interested parties can view the Request for Applications, and updates, such as amendments, posted on HCA's Bids and contracts page. To apply for this grant opportunity, register at Washington’s Electronic Business Solution (WEBS).
For questions and accommodations related to this RFA, reach out to HCA’s procurement team at email@example.com
HCA will hold a preapplication webinar on August 26, 1 p.m. The training covers an overview of the grant and eligibility criteria, describes how to complete the application, and what to expect after applying.
View the Pre-application webinar held on August 26, 2022 to learn more about the grant.