HCA’s lobby is now open for walk-in customer service. Learn about customer service options.
State payroll reconciliation resources
The guidance and resources provided on this page are applicable to state agencies using the Human Resource Management System (HRMS) and the PAY1 insurance system.
HCA PEB Accounting is available to provide assistance with billing questions and corrections in the PAY1 insurance system. They can help resolve issues that are due to the PAY1 system, but will defer to DES to resolve HRMS issues.
- Employee reconciliation A.23 report:
HCA PEB Accounting can provide a print out of the A.32 report, if needed. This report reconciles the HRMS payroll deductions for medical insurance taken from an employee's paycheck and the amount billed by HCA/PEBB for the month.
- The A.23 report will carry the balance forward each month until the out-of-balance is resolved.
- Employer reconciliation report:
HCA PEB Accounting can provide a print out of the employer reconciliation report, if needed. This report will show the amount of the state share that HCA/PEBB took from the agency's Account 035, General Ledger 5181 and the amount that HRMS moved into the general ledger for the employee.
- The employer reconciliation report only shows employee's who have discrepancies and does not carry discrepancies forward to the next month.
- Miscellaneous deduction report:
This report will show what HCA/PEBB has taken from your agency's Account 035, General Ledger 5181 for insurance premiums at the employee level for the 10th and 25th payrolls. This deduction is split by ER (employer contribution), EC (employee contribution) and the total amount. The miscellaneous deduction report is a helpful tool in determining possible discrepancies.
- For example, occasionally, credit amounts coming back to an agency are not split up by the ER and EC amounts and the full credit comes back to the ER side only but is still deposited into the agency's Account 035, General Ledger 5181.
- Daily adjustment/eligibility report:
This report is a useful tool for tracking daily account activity for agency employees. You should review the daily adjustment/eligibility reports each day to determine if eligibility change(s) keyed into the PAY1 insurance system were done correctly. This report will also indicate potential PAY1 system limitations that can occur around end of the year open enrollment.
- Termination of coverage guidance:
PEBB Policy Addendum 19-1A provides the date to use when terminating coverage. If terminations are not keyed within the lower limit, see the Lower limit and current process month calendar to determine how far in the past coverage may be retro-terminated.
To get the fastest possible response from HCA/PEBB, use the secure messaging system, FUZE.
- HRMS-related eLearning courses
- The HRMS benefits page contains instructional materials that describe how end users should perform basic tasks in HRMS.
- The HRMS reports page provides a list of different reports generated in HRMS.
OFM Statewide Accounting assists agencies with reconciliation issues that come up after eligibility determinations, HCA's billing, and the payroll process come together to produce financial activity in the Payroll Revolving Account. Reconciling your financial activity ensures that your agency and your agency's employees are each paying the correct amount for employee benefits.
OFM provides the following:
- Quarterly scheduled online training on health insurance reconciliation. This training:
- Reviews the flow of transactions and accounting entries resulting from the payroll process and the state health insurance program administered by HCA.
- Does not cover eligibility rules.
- Is recommended for individuals responsible for reconciling the State Payroll Revolving Account (035) or health insurance billings and payments with HCA.
- See the OFM training for accounting and budget staff page for the latest schedules and other financial and systems training.
- Regular training and updates at Payroll Personnel Association (PPA) meetings.
- Online reconciliation resources including:
- Step-by-step reconciliation instructions and reference materials, including the full range of documentation and reports available to help reconcile your health insurance account.
- Sample reconciliations, including sample documentation and reports.
- Reconciliation templates and employee "mid-period transfer" journal voucher templates.
- State payroll accounting policy updates as published in the State Administrative and Accounting Manual (SAAM).