COFA Islander Health Care program
Compact of Free Association (COFA) Islander Health Care is a state-funded sponsorship program offered by the Health Care Authority (HCA). HCA pays the monthly premiums and out-of-pocket expenses under a silver level Qualified Health Plan for eligible COFA islanders. The program serves COFA islanders which includes people from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of Palau.
COFA islanders are only eligible for federally funded Washington Apple Health (Medicaid) if they are under age 19 or pregnant. They may also be eligible for limited medical coverage if the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) determines them to be incapacitated or under the Alien Emergency Medical (AEM) program.
How can COFA Islander Health Care help?
- By paying for your monthly insurance premium you can have access to essential health benefits such as doctor visits, hospital stays, prescription drugs, preventive services, etc.
- By providing you the funds to pay your out-of-pocket expenses such as copays, coinsurance, and deductibles.
Do I qualify for COFA Islander Health Care?
You may be eligible for COFA Islander Health Care if you:
- Are a COFA islander
- Have income less than 133 percent of the federal poverty level (FPL)
- Live in Washington
- Enroll into a silver level Qualified Health Plan through the Health Benefit Exchange
- Agree to file federal taxes (even if you do not meet tax filing requirements)
- If you are married, agree to file taxes jointly with your spouse
- Are not receiving other federal or state medical coverage, including affordable employer-sponsored insurance, Medical Care Services, Medicare, etc.
How do I apply for COFA Islander Health Care?
- Online: Go to Washington Healthplanfinder to apply for coverage
- Phone: Call the Washington Healthplanfinder Customer Support Center at 855-923-4633
- Paper: Download the application for health care coverage and follow the mailing instructions.
- In-person: Find an in-person assister in your area who, at no additional cost, can help you apply for health coverage at Health Benefit Exchange Navigator.
How do I file an Appeal?
To qualify for COFA Islander Health Care, you must first qualify for a silver level qualified health plan with tax credits through the Healthplanfinder. If you are not eligible for a qualified health plan with tax credits and you want to appeal that decision, do one of the following:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1-855-859-2512
- Mail: Washington Health Benefit Exchange
ATTN: Legal Division
PO Box 1757
Olympia, WA 98507
If you are eligible for and enrolled in a qualified health plan with tax credits but are not eligible for COFA Islander Health Care, you can appeal this decision to us by doing one of the following:
- Send a written request or download and complete the Administrative Hearing Request. Fax: 855-867-4467
- Fax: 1-855-867-4467
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Mail: Health Care Authority
PO Box 45531
Olympia, WA 98504-5531
- Phone: 1-800-562-3022 or 1-800-547-3109
How can I contact COFA Islander Health Care or find more information?
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 1-800-547-3109
- COFA Islander Health Care home page
- COFA outreach toolkit
- COFA Islander Health Care brochure
- Am I eligible for COFA Islander Health Care? (poster)
- Welcome to COFA Islander Health Care booklet
- Tax filing information