Life insurance (unpaid leave only)
You may choose to continue all or part of your life insurance coverage while on PEBB Continuation Coverage (unpaid leave).
On this page
Important! PEBB life insurance is not available to COBRA members.
|Types of optional coverage||Employee (subscriber)||Spouse or state-registered domestic partner||Child(ren)
(14 days up to 26 years)
Optional life insurance
Increments of $10,000 up to $500,000 with no Medical Evidence of Insurability, to a maximum of $1,000,000 with Medical Evidence of Insurability.
Increments of $5,000 up to $100,000 with no Medical Evidence of Insurability, to a maximum of $500,000* with Medical Evidence of Insurability.
Increments of $5,000 up to $20,000
Optional AD&D insurance
Increments of $10,000 up to $250,000.
Increments of $10,000 up to $250,000
Increments of $5,000 up to $25,000
*Spouse/state-registered domestic partner optional life insurance cannot exceed 50% of employee's optional life insurance.
How to enroll or make changes
Complete MetLife's enrollment/change form. You can also request a form by calling MetLife at 1-866-548-7139.
You may choose to continue all or part of your life insurance coverage while on PEBB Continuation Coverage (unpaid leave). If you choose to continue any part of your optional life coverage, you must also continue the $35,000 basic life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance at a cost of $3.89 per month.
If you do not continue your life insurance or if you continue coverage and self-pay for a reduced amount of optional life insurance, you must submit a Statement of Health and reapply to enroll or increase your optional life insurance. All enrollment forms must be submitted to MetLife for processing.
Continuing life insurance benefits while on PEBB Continuation Coverage (unpaid leave)
To continue your life insurance coverage while on PEBB Continuation Coverage (unpaid leave), complete the MetLife enrollment/change form and submit to MetLife, as directed on the form.
Optional life insurance for spouse or state-registered domestic partner
If you wish to continue spouse or state-registered domestic partner optional life insurance the amount cannot exceed 50% of the employee optional life insurance coverage in force.
Continue life insurance coverage while on active military duty
If you are called to active military duty in the uniformed services as defined under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), you may extend life insurance to a maximum of 29 months after your active duty began.
If you do not choose to continue your life insurance under one of the following options, all life insurance, including basic life and AD&D insurance paid by your employer, will end at the end of the month in which you begin active duty. There are two options for extending insurance benefits:
- You can use agency-approved annual or military leave to maintain a minimum of eight hours pay status each month. Employer-sponsored basic life and AD&D insurance will be continued. You are responsible for paying the premium for continued basic dependent life insurance and any optional life insurance.
- You can self-pay your life insurance coverage by completing the MetLife enrollment/change form and submit to MetLife, as directed on the form.
If you return to full-time employment status before the end of the 29 months from when you began active duty, you may reinstate your original coverage without evidence of insurability. If you return to full-time employment status after the end of 29 months, you may be required to provide a Statement of Health for any optional life insurance. Any increase to the amount of life insurance you had in place when you were called to active duty will require Statement of Health.
When you return to work, you will need to complete and submit the appropriate form(s) within 31 days in both situations to reinstate your employer-sponsored and optional coverage:
- If you choose to self-pay optional coverage during PEBB Continuation Coverage (unpaid leave), complete the MetLife enrollment/change form. Your employee coverage will be reinstated when you return to work without evidence of insurability.
- If you choose not to pay for optional coverage or if you reduced your coverage during PEBB Continuation Coverage (unpaid leave), complete the MetLife enrollment/change form.
To cancel your life and/or AD&D insurance through MetLife, you must complete MetLife’s cancellation of optional life insurance form for employees and send it to:
MetLife Recordkeeping Center
PO Box 14406
Lexington, KY 40512-4406
Phone: 1-866-548-7139, benefits specialists available Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Pacific - except for the major holidays).
- Customer support for questions about your account, benefit options, claims, beneficiaries, and billing.
- 24/7 automated customer support to order forms, confirm coverage, and verify beneficiaries.