Due to COVID-19, HCA’s lobby is closed. Learn more about HCA's customer service options during the pandemic.
Lunch and learn
A lunch and learn at your worksite is a great way to support the well-being of your staff.
You meet your staff where they are at by hosting a lunch and learn. You also save them the time, energy, and costs from trying to learn more about a well-being topic on their own. By offering a presentation or a discussion, you offer them the opportunity to build awareness, motivation, and skills for a healthy behavior.
Follow these steps to plan, promote, and host a successful lunch and learn.
- Create a speaker form
Make sure you include an ethics guideline.
- Create a speaker selection process
- Plan what topics to share
We offer a few lunch and learn ideas. Use your organization's SmartHealth activity data to learn what topics interest your staff.
- Find speakers for your topics
You might find dynamic speakers that will not charge a fee through local colleges, state agencies, or from within your own organization.
- Invite speakers
Make sure you include a deadline to respond.
- Reserve rooms
Choose a space that is easy to access, setup, and cleanup. Involve your facilities team when you plan.
- Get organized
Use a calendar or a simple list to keep track of your events.
- Create promotions
Be creative! Pick options (email, flyer, desk drop, etc.) you can easily share. A great internal resource is your organization’s communications team.
- Start promoting
People won’t come if they don’t know it’s going on. Find others to help you promote. Involve and invite leadership and managers.
- Final prep
Remind speakers, finalize logistics, and wrap up any loose ends to host your event.
- Have fun!
Offer a reward
A fun and simple way to enhance your lunch and learn is to offer a reward. You don't need a big budget. Your speaker might even offer to help. Here are three simple ideas to try:
- Say thanks
A simple thank you email or letter can go a long way. You can also feature their attendance on your website, newsletter, or email.
- Random drawing
Hold a drawing by handing out tickets as people walk in. You could save paper by doing it all online if people register by email.
- Passport game
Hand out passports to staff. Stamp their passport each time they attend a lunch and learn. Once they attend enough of them, they turn in their passport to either win a prize or enter a drawing.
There are many great topics, but here are a few ideas.
- Improve your workspace or get set-up for success.
- Financial well-being
- Create a budget, manage your money, or plan for retirement.
- Giving back
- Why you should volunteer, benefits of helping others, or how to get involved.
- Healthy eating
- How to eat healthy at work, how to plan healthy lunches, or how to eat healthy when you eat out.
- Simple movements at your desk, how to exercise at work, or move smarter not harder.
- How to sleep better, how much sleep do I need, or unplug before bed.
- Why you should try it, how it works, or how it helps
- Reduce stress from your desk, how to relax at work, or less stress for success.