The School Employees Benefits (SEB) Board was created by HB 2242 in the 2017 Legislative Session as part of the response to the state Supreme Court's ruling in the McCleary decision.
The board's role is to design and approve insurance benefit plans for school employees and to establish eligibility criteria for participation in insurance benefit plans. The board will meet monthly.
Initial members of the board will serve staggered terms not to exceed four years. Members appointed thereafter will serve two-year terms.
Members of the board and areas they represent:
- Louis McDermott, deputy director of the Health Care Authority
McDermott is the deputy director of the Heath Care Authority and will serve as chair per statute requirement.
- Sean Corry, member with expertise in employee health benefits policy and administration
Corry is president of Sprague Israel Giles, Inc. He brings over 20 years of experience in health and insurance policy and employee benefit administration.
- Pete Cutler, member with expertise in employee health benefits policy and administration
Cutler is currently retired, brings extensive experience working with health care policy, finance, and administration. His background includes working for Department of Retirement Systems, Health Care Authority, Office of Insurance Commissioner, Office of the State Actuary, and the Senate Ways and Means Committee.
- Patricia Estes, member from association representing classified employees
Estes is an assistant cook with the Eatonville School District. She is currently vice president of the Eatonville Chapter of Public School Employees of Washington, SEIU Local 1948.
- Daniel Gossett, member from association representing certificated employees
Gossett is a library information specialist with the Edmonds School District with over 30 years' experience. He has been a member of the Washington Education Association's Benefits Services Advisory Board since 2008.
- Katy Henry, member from association representing certificated employees
Henry is a special education - education/behavior specialist with Spokane Public Schools. She is currently President of the Spokane Education Association.
- Terri House, member from association representing classified employees
House is a paraprofessional with the Marysville School District with over 15 years’ experience. She also serves as an executive board member for SEIU 925.
- Wayne Leonard, member with expertise in employee health benefits policy and administration
Leonard is the assistant superintendent of business services for the Mead School District.
Alison White, member with expertise in employee health benefits policy and administration
White is the executive director for Better Health Together and vice president of community engagement for Empire Health Foundation in Spokane. She brings over 20 years of experience in executive administration.