If you are displaced or affected by wildfire, all Washington Apple Health and PEBB/SEBB medical plans are allowing prescription refills before the refill date.
Due to COVID-19, HCA’s lobby is closed. Learn more about your customer service options.
Making informed health care decisions
Health care can be complicated. But as the consumer, you can be an active participant in your health. This page includes resources and tools to help you take charge of your health care.
Choosing a primary care doctor
It's important to have a primary care doctor you know and trust.
Getting high-value care
As part of our Healthier Washington initiative, in partnership with the Washington Health Alliance, we’ve created a campaign called the Savvy Health Care Shopper. The campaign includes a video, a series of infographics, and a brochure for you to use to help you and your employees know how to get high-value health care. We encourage you to share these materials with your employees, members, and even your friends and family.
Choosing procedures wisely
Some of the most common medical procedures may be overused. The Washington Health Alliance's Choosing Wisely campaign focuses on cervical cancer screening, antibiotics, cardiac and other imaging, and early elective births.
Understanding health insurance coverage
- Our partners at the Health Benefit Exchange offer easy-to-understand information about health insurance on their Know Your Plan page . From shopping for a plan to understanding your bill, this information is helpful for anyone who has basic questions about health insurance.
- The federal HeathCare.gov website includes a section on using health coverage to stay healthy and get the care you need . This section includes videos and a user-friendly publication, From Coverage to Care: A Roadmap to Better Care and a Healthier You.
- The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation offers resources in English and Spanish to help anyone shopping or helping someone shop for health coverage within the health insurance marketplaces.
Owning your health
As health care consumers, we have a big role in making sure we get the right care. The Washington Health Alliance's Own Your Health campaign offers tools and resources to help make sure you are getting high quality care, and a good experience at a fair price.
Making shared decisions with your provider
Shared decision making is a process that allows patients and their providers to make health care decisions together, taking into account the best scientific evidence available, as well as the patient’s values and preferences.
Patient decision aids are tools that can help people engage in shared health decisions with their health care provider. Research shows that use of patient decision aids leads to increased knowledge, more accurate risk perception, and fewer patients remaining passive or undecided about their care.
- Learn more about shared decision making
- Learn more about patient decision aids
- See a list of state-certified aids
Finding support during serious illness or end of life
Know what your options are when you or a loved one are recovering from a serious illness or entering the end stages of life.