Due to COVID-19, HCA’s lobby is closed until further notice. Learn more about your virtual customer service options.
Health Care Cost Transparency Board
Washingtonians are paying more and more for their health care. Rising health care prices also affect how health care plans (payers) pay providers. The Health Care Cost Transparency Board was signed into law by Governor House Bill 2457), with the purpose of reducing health care cost growth and increasing price transparency.
The Health Care Cost Transparency Board is responsible for reducing the state’s health care cost growth by:
- Determining the state’s total health care expenditures.
- Identifying cost trends and cost drivers in the health care system.
- Setting a health care cost growth benchmark for providers and payers.
- Reporting annually to the Legislature, including providing recommendations for lowering health care costs.
Every year, the board will set a benchmark for the annual rate of growth of total health care spending in Washington State. The board will identify health care providers and payers that are exceeding the established benchmark. The purpose of the benchmark and public reporting are to:
- Make health care costs more transparent to the public and policymakers.
- Encourage providers and payers to keep costs at or below the benchmark.
- Reduce the overall trend of health care cost growth in Washington State.
|July 15, 2021||Health Care Cost Transparency Board to meet July 19|
|June 22, 2021||Check out our new Health Care Cost Transparency Board webpages|
|June 14, 2021||Health Care Cost Transparency Board to meet this week|
|May 27, 2021||Article from HealthAffairs: Supporting States In Setting Health Care Cost Growth Targets To Improve Affordability|
|May 10, 2021||Health Care Cost Transparency Board to appoint second advisory committee at next meeting|
|April 16, 2021||Health Care Cost Transparency Board seeking members for its Advisory Committee on Data Issues|
|April 8, 2021||Health Care Cost Transparency Board to appoint Advisory Committee at next meeting|
|March 12, 2021||HCA joins multi-state health care cost program|
|March 10, 2021||Next Health Care Cost Transparency Board meeting coming up|
February 12, 2021
- View upcoming and past board meeting information, materials, and recordings.
- View the board's charter and operating procedures.
- Learn more about the board by viewing the roster or visiting our Board members page.