As of Wednesday, March 18, HCA’s lobby will be closed. In-person customer services for Apple Health and the PEBB and SEBB Programs will not be available. Learn more.
Problem Gambling Task Force (PGTF)
The Health Care Authority (HCA) is lead agency for the Problem Gambling Task Force (PGTF)—a joint legislative work group funded by the Washington State Legislature in 2019.
The PGTF was created to review existing outreach, prevention, and treatment resources for problem and disordered gambling, and determine if services need to be increased.
On this page
HCA supports efforts to treat problem gambling through the following activities:
- State-funded treatment of eligible adults and family members.
- Increased access to quality care.
- Outreach activities.
- Distribution of awareness information and materials.
- Education for individuals and clinicians through the Evergreen Council on Problem Gambling.
- Promotion of the Washington State Problem Gambling Helpline (1-800-547-6133).
To further explore and address challenges and opportunities related to problem gambling in Washington State, the PGTF will review:
- Findings of the Washington State Gambling Commission's 2019 Problem Gambling Study and Report submitted to the Legislature in spring 2019.
- Existing prevention, treatment, and recovery services offered by Washington state public, private, and nonprofit entities.
- Existing programs, services, and treatment offered in other states and by the Federal government.
The task force will make recommendations to the Washington State Legislature. The recommendations provide the foundation for interim and final reports due to the legislature in November 2020 and November 2021 respectively.
The recommendations will address these topics:
- How to proceed with initiating a state prevalence study measuring adult participation in gambling and adult problem gambling?
- Should Washington State expand funding for prevention, treatment, and recovery services?
- What steps the state should take to improve current licensing and certification of problem gambling health care providers?
- Are there additional problem gambling areas to be considered? If yes, are there recommended actions?
The task force meets quarterly through 2021.
January 6, 2020
Health Care Authority