WAC 182-540-025 Kidney disease program (KDP)—Application and recertification requirements—KDP contractor
Effective January 1, 2014
When a person applies for the kidney disease program (KDP), the KDP contractor must:
- Inform the applicant of the requirements for KDP eligibility as defined in this chapter, provide the applicant with the necessary forms and instructions to complete the KDP application, and provide the applicant with a copy of the person's rights and responsibilities.
- If required, help the applicant submit an application for medical benefits with the department of social and health services (DSHS) community services office or the health benefits exchange.
- The KDP contractor must obtain the person's application documentation from DSHS or the health benefits exchange and keep a copy in the person's record.
- The KDP contractor may authorize KDP payment pending the outcome of the medical application; however, if the person is subsequently approved for medical coverage for any month in which KDP funds were authorized, those expenses must not be billed to KDP. If KDP has already reimbursed those funds, the contractor must refund the KDP, subject to exceptions for transportation expenses, health insurance premiums, and expenses paid by the KDP which were used to meet a spenddown liability as described in WAC 182-540-015 (6)(a), (b), and (c).
- Inform the applicant of the requirement to apply for medicare and help with the application process. The KDP contractor must obtain a copy of the Social Security Administration's (SSA's) approval or denial of medicare entitlement and keep a copy in the person's record once a determination has been made by SSA.
- Determine eligibility using the agency's policies, rules, and instructions and provide the applicant with a timely written approval or denial notice within no more than sixty calendar days from the date of the KDP application.
- The KDP contractor may request an extension of the application time from the KDP program manager when extenuating circumstances prevent the person from completing the application or recertification process within the specified time limit.
- Forward the completed KDP application and the application documentation to the KDP program manager at the health care authority (HCA). The KDP program manager may amend or terminate a person's certification period within thirty calendar days of receipt if the application is incomplete or inaccurate.
- The KDP contractor certifies an eligible person for no more than one year from the first day of the month of application, unless the client:
- Needs medical coverage for less than one year; or
- Reports a change as described in WAC 182-540-0023 that makes the person ineligible for KDP.
- Within sixty calendar days prior to the end of a person's certification period, the KDP contractor must assist a person with completing a recertification for KDP. To be eligible for ongoing KDP funding, a person must meet the requirements described in WAC 182-540-026(2).
This is a reprint of the official rule as published by the Office of the Code Reviser. If there are previous versions of this rule, they can be found using the Legislative Search page.