The PEBB Program provides basic life insurance at no cost to employees enrolled in the full benefits package. Additional optional life insurance is available for purchase.
On this page
The PEBB Program provides life insurance to eligible members through MetLife. Eligible members include the following employees:
- State agencies
- Higher-education institutions
- Community and technical colleges
- Employees who work for a PEBB Program-participating school district, tribal government, or employer group that offers both PEBB Program medical and dental coverage.
If you work for a PEBB Program-participating school district, tribal government, or employer group, contact your personnel, payroll, or benefits office to see if this is part of your benefits package.
The PEBB Program's full employee benefits package includes basic life insurance at no cost to you. It provides:
- $35,000 for death from any cause.
- An additional $5,000 in case of accidental death or dismemberment.
As an employee, your basic life insurance covers you and pays your designated beneficiaries in the event of your death. Your basic life insurance includes accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, which provides extra benefits for certain injuries or death resulting from a covered accident.
Optional coverage is not available to retirees. They must port or convert.
|Types of optional coverage||Employee (subscriber)||Spouse or state-registered domestic partner||Child(ren)
(ages 2 weeks up to 26 years)
|Optional life insurance||Increments of $10,000 up to $500,000 with no Medical Evidence of Insurability, to a maximum of $1,000,000 with Medical Evidence of Insurability.||Increments of $5,000 up to $100,000 with no Medical Evidence of Insurability, to a maximum of $500,000* with Medical Evidence of Insurability.||Increments of $5,000 up to $20,000|
|Optional AD&D insurance||
Increments of $10,000 up to $250,000.
Optional AD&D Insurance does not cover death and dismemberment from non-accidental causes. Optional AD&D Insurance never requires evidence of insurability, and you can apply at any time.
|Increments of $10,000 up to $250,000||Increments of $5,000 up to $25,000|
*Spouse/state-registered domestic partner optional life insurance cannot exceed 50% of employee's optional life insurance.
Odd coverage amounts should be rounded up or down
If you currently have an odd amount of optional life insurance (not in $10,000 increments), you should round your coverage up or down at this time. Changes must be made by completing the MetLife employee enrollment/change form and may require answering health questions and/or having a medical exam.
How to enroll or make changes
To create an online account with MetLife
- Visit MetLife’s MyBenefits portal.
A Welcome to MyBenefits screen will appear.
- You should see "PEBB Benefits - State of Washington" in the Account Sign in box.
- If you see "Enter your company name," start typing "PEBB" (without the quotes) into the field and a dropdown of options should appear. Select "PEBB Benefits - State of Washington."
- Click the Submit button.
This will take you to a Welcome to MyBenefits screen that has Life Insurance and Tools & Resources boxes in the center of the screen and a First Time User? box on the right.
- If you have visited this link before and completed steps 2 and 3, you will see the Welcome to MyBenefits screen that has Life Insurance and Tools & Resources boxes when you click the MetLife's MyBenefits portal link above.
- In the First Time User? box on the right, click the Register Now! button.
- Complete the registration form.
- Click the Register button.
- On the next screen, click the Continue button.
You will now see a personalized screen that reads "Your Name, PEBB Benefits - State of Washington" in the upper right and your registration is complete.
You will receive a thank you email from MetLife that includes a link back to the MyBenefits page. If you have questions about the MetLife website, please contact MetLife at 1-866-548-7139, Monday - Friday, 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. Pacific Time (except for the major holidays).
PEBB Benefits Services call center cannot answer questions about the MetLife website.
To cancel your life and/or AD&D insurance, you must complete MetLife’s cancellation of optional life insurance form and send it to:
MetLife Recordkeeping Center
P.O. Box 14406
Lexington, KY 40512-4406
For enrollment, premium payments, benefits or plan details
Online: MetLife MyBenefits
Phone: 1-866-548-7139, benefits specialists available Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. Pacific Time (except for the major holidays).
- Customer support for questions about your account, benefit options, claims, beneficiaries, and billing.
- 24/7 automated customer support to order forms, confirm coverage, and verify beneficiaries.