Physical activity enhances quality of life, helping both mental and physical health. Your promotions can raise awareness, add motivation, and offer opportunities to help grow a happier and healthier workforce.
Start with SmartHealth to add a customizable online experience to your worksite wellness efforts. Employees can join a physical activity you promote from SmartHealth on a laptop, tablet, or smartphone, making it easy to stay engaged both in and out of the office.
Your organization can also take steps to improve the health of employees by targeting the following physical activity areas in the worksite.
Here are few policy change strategies to support physical activity at work:
- Flexible dress code.
- Flexible work schedules.
- Add physical activities into meetings (try walking meetings to start).
- Increase access to physical activity during paid work time.
Here are few environmental change strategies to support physical activity at work:
- Get leadership support at all levels.
- Add or designate space for physical activity (such as a fitness room or locker room).
- Add bike racks in safe, well-lit areas close to entrances.
- Decorate stair spaces to encourage use.
Here are few change strategies to support individual physical activity at work:
- Add incentives or recognition.
- Organize activity clubs (such as a walking group or sports team).
- Promote nearby walking paths.
- Offer worksite classes (such as yoga or dance).
Where can I find more tips?
See the Washington Wellness Physical Activity Toolkit for more detailed tips for increasing physical activity at the worksite.
Promote the following discounts as part of your wellness program benefits package.
Encourage staff to ask for a discount to any gym they want to join. Staff can also check with their health plan about gym discounts through the following links:
- Group Health members
Go to Group Health to look for gym discounts offered to its members.
- Uniform Medical Plan (UMP) members
Go to Regence to look for gym discounts offered to its members.