The UMP website is moving. This website contains 2019 UMP information for PEBB members only (through the end of 2019). If you are a PEBB member and/or you will be a new School Employees Benefits Board (SEBB) member and you need 2020 UMP benefits information, visit our new UMP website.

Submitting a claim

When Uniform Medical Plan (UMP) is your primary insurance and your provider is in your plan's network , you do not need to submit claims. The provider will do it for you.

But there are some circumstances where you will need to submit a claim to the plan. If you are not sure whether your provider's office has submitted a claim, log in to your Regence account or call UMP Customer Service at
1-888-849-3681 (TRS: 711).

For complete information, read "Billing & payment: filing a claim" in your certificate of coverage.

Find your certificate of coverage 

Medical claims

When do I need to submit a medical claim?

You may need to submit a claim to UMP for payment if:

Out-of-network providers may submit a claim on your behalf. Ask the provider.

Tip: If you get a vaccine (including a flu shot) from an out-of-network provider, you must submit the claim to Regence as a medical claim. Member-submitted vaccine claims sent to Washington State Rx Services will be denied. 

How do I submit a medical claim?

To submit a claim yourself, you can you can use your Regence account or you can fax or mail your claim to Regence. First, you'll need to gather these documents:

  1. The Medical Claim Form.
  2. An itemized bill from your provider that describes the services you received and the charges. The following information must appear on the provider's itemized bill for the plan to consider the claim for payment:
    • Patient's name and plan ID number, including the alpha prefix (three letters before ID number).
    • Description of the injury or illness.
    • Date and type of service.
    • Provider's name, address, and phone number. 
    • For ambulance claims, please also include the ZIP code where the patient was picked up and where they were taken.
  3. If UMP pays second, you must include a copy of your primary plan's Explanation of Benefits, which lists the services covered and how much the other plan paid. You should wait until the primary plan has paid to submit a secondary claim to UMP, unless the primary plan's processing of the claim is delayed. Claims not submitted to UMP within 12 months of the date of service will not be paid.

Note: If we have to request additional information, the processing of your claim may be delayed.

To submit your claim, mail both the claim form and the provider's claim document (or bill) to:

Regence BlueShield
PO Box 1106

Lewiston, ID 83501-1106

Or fax them to 1-877-357-3418.

Always make copies of your documents for your records. Call UMP Customer Service at 1-888-849-3681 (TRS: 711) if you have a question about the processing of your claim.

Tip: If you purchase contact lenses or eyeglasses from an out-of-network provider that doesn't bill your plan, you must submit a claim for reimbursement using the Medical Claim Form.

Important information about submitting medical claims

You or your provider must submit claims within 12 months of the date you received health care services. This is called the "timely filing" deadline. The plan will not pay claims submitted more than 12 months after the date of service. See “Submit secondary claims promptly” for how this works when you have other coverage that pays first.

If you or a family member has other health care coverage, see If you have other coverage for information on how UMP coordinates benefits with other plans. Medicare retirees visit For Medicare retirees to learn how Medicare and other plans work together. 

For information about submitting claims for services outside of the United States, visit Access coverage while traveling. You may have to pay services upfront and submit a claim for reimbursement.

TIP: To prevent errors and delays in claim processing, always tell your providers right away if your coverage changes.

Claims Reimbursement

Most of the time, the plan will pay preferred (network for UMP Plus) providers directly. For claims submitted by you or an out-of-network provider, the plan will determine whether to pay you, the provider, or both you and the provider.  

For claims submitted by your or an out-of-network provider, the plan will determine whether to pay you, the provider, or both.

For a child covered by a legal qualified medical child support order, the plan may pay the custodial parent or legal guardian of the child.

Claims Determinations

You will be notified of action taken on a claim within 30 days of the plan receiving it. This 30-day period may be extended by 15 days when action cannot be taken on the claim due to:

  • Circumstances beyond the plan's control. Notification will include an explanation why an extension is necessary and when the plan expects to take action on the claim.
  • Lack of information. The plan will notify you within the 30-day period that an extension is necessary, with a description of the information needed as well as why it is needed.

If the plan asks you for more information, you will be allowed at least 45 days to provide it. If the plan does not receive the information requested within the time allowed, the claim will be denied.

Prescription drug claims

Tip: See "Guidelines for drugs UMP Covers" in your certificate of coverage to find products covered under the preventive care benefit such as contraceptive drugs, tobacco cessation drugs, nicotine replacement, or over-the-counter products covered as preventive.

You must submit prescription drug claims within 12 months of purchase. Claims for prescription drugs submitted more than 12 months after purchase will not be paid.

You may need to submit your own prescription drug claim to Washington State Rx Services for reimbursement if you:

You can download the Prescription Drug Claim Form, or call Washington State Rx Services at 1-888-361-1611 (TRS: 711). Send the completed claim form, along with your pharmacy receipt(s), to:

Washington State Rx Services
Attn: Pharmacy Claims
PO Box 40168
Portland, OR 97240-0168
Fax: 1-800-207-8235

Always make copies of your paperwork for your records.

 When you submit a prescription drug claim to Washington State Rx Services, the plan pays the claim based on the following rules, no matter where you purchased the drug:

  • The plan pays based on the allowed amount. If the pharmacy charges you more than the allowed amount, you will pay your usual coinsurance (and prescription drug deductible if applicable), plus the difference between what the plan paid and the pharmacy's charge.
  • The plan pays all prescription drug claims, including non-network, based on coinsurance.
  • If your claim exceeds the quantity limit allowed by the plan or the maximum days' supply, the plan will pay only for the amount of the drug up to the quantity limit or maximum days' supply.
  • If you receive a refill before 84 percent of the last supply you received should have been taken, the plan will not pay for it. This is called a "refill too soon."

Alert: If you do not show your plan ID card when purchasing a prescription at a Washington State Rx Services’ network pharmacy, you will have to pay the full cash price and submit a Prescription Drug Claim Form. You will not receive the plan discount.

Your online pharmacy account

Want to get your prescription claims history or view your benefits and claims information? Register for or log in to your online pharmacy account with Washington State Rx Services. 

False claims or statements

Neither you nor your provider (or any person acting for you or your provider) may submit a claim for services or supplies that were not received, were resold to another party, or for which you are not expected to pay.

In addition, neither you nor any person acting for you may make any false or incomplete statements on any document for your plan coverage.

The plan may recover any payments or overpayments made as a result of a false claim or false statement by withholding future claim payments, by suing you, or by other means. False claims may also be crimes.

If you represent yourself as being enrolled in this plan when you are not, the plan will deny all claims.


Questions about medical claims

UMP Customer Service
Online: Your Regence account
Phone: 1-888-849-3681
TRS: 711
Business hours: Monday through Friday 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Pacific)

Questions about prescription drug claims

Washington State Rx Services
Online: Your pharmacy account
Phone: 1-888-361-1611
TRS: 711
Business hours: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Questions about claims for services outside the U.S.

BlueCard (Global Core) Service Center
Phone: 1-800-810-2583, or call collect 1-804-673-1177