SEB Board considers 2022 premiums
On July 15, 2021, the School Employees Benefits Board (SEB Board) met virtually. The meeting was open to the public via Zoom.
Highlights of the meeting are listed below. See the briefing book for all presentation materials.
- The Board approved the following resolutions:
- 2021-15: To allow the Uniform Medical Plan (UMP) Consumer-Directed Health Plan (CDHP) to cover an expanded list of preventive care benefits for certain chronic conditions before having to meet the plan deductible.
- 2021-16: To allow school employees’ dependents to enroll in SEBB dental, vision, or both for a maximum of 36 months on a self-pay basis if school employees and their dependents were auto-disenrolled from SEBB dental, vision, or both, because the school employees were kept in their PEBB medical coverage.
- Staff presented an additional benefit change for Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Northwest (KPNW): To decrease the out-of-pocket maximum cap for each insulin prescription fill from $100 to $75.
- Staff summarized UMP chiropractic, acupuncture, and massage (CAM) utilization. They also introduced the detailed resolution, highlights of which include:
- 2021-17: To allow 24 chiropractic, 24 acupuncture, and 24 massage visits per year for UMP plans, with a copay when seeing an in-network provider (instead of the current coinsurance approach). Copays will not apply to the deductible (except in the UMP CDHP as required by IRS rules).
- This resolution is contingent on a similar adoption by the Public Employees Benefits (PEB) Board, which was adopted by the PEB Board at its July 14 meeting.
- Staff gave an overview of how premiums are established and presented the proposed rates for 2022 employer/employee composite medical premiums, compared rate changes from last year, and looked at enrollment numbers. They also introduced the following resolutions (see tab 6 of the briefing book):
- 2021-18: To endorse the Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Northwest employee premiums.
- 2021-19: To endorse Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington employee premiums.
- 2021-20: To endorse Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington Options, Inc. employee premiums.
- 2021-21: To endorse Premera employee premiums.
- 2021-22: To endorse UMP employee premiums.
- Staff gave an overview of Medical Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA) and Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP) benefits. Staff introduced the Limited Purpose FSA, which will be available starting in 2022 to members. The Limited Purpose FSA is available to any member but is most effective for those enrolled with consumer-directed health plans (CDHPs). Staff also explained a change for FSA accounts from having a grace period to having a carryover for funds left over at the end of the plan year and lowering the minimum annual election requirement.
- Staff updated the Board on the American Rescue Plan Act’s COBRA subsidy and its implementation in the SEBB Program.
The next public meeting of the SEB Board is scheduled for 9 to 11:30 a.m. on July 22. Board members and the public may attend virtually via Zoom. The link and call-in number will be noted on the meeting agenda, which will be posted on the SEB Board Meetings and materials webpage.