SEB Board approves resolutions regulating dual enrollment and changing long-term disability
On April 7, 2021, the School Employees Benefits Board (SEB Board) met virtually. The meeting was open to the public via Zoom.
The highlights of the meeting are listed below. See the briefing book for all presentation materials.
- The Board approved 13 proposed resolutions.
- SEBB 2021-01 – Amending SEBB 2018-25 When the employer contribution for SEBB benefits ends
- SEBB 2021-02 – Amending SEBB 2018-53 School employees may waive enrollment in medical
- SEBB 2021-03 – SEBB benefits enrollment requirements when PEBB benefits are waived
- SEBB 2021-04 – Resolving dual enrollment when a school employee’s only medical enrollment is in PEBB
- SEBB 2021-05 – Resolving dual enrollment involving dual subscriber eligibility
- SEBB 2021-06 – Resolving dual enrollment involving a SEBB dependent with multiple medical enrollments
- SEBB 2021-07 – Resolving dual enrollment involving a member with multiple medical enrollments as a dependent
- SEBB 2021-08 – SEBB benefit automatic enrollments when PEBB benefits are auto-disenrolled
- SEBB 2021-09 – Enrollment requirements when a school employee loses dependent coverage in PEBB benefits
- SEBB 2021-10 – Employee-paid long-term disability (LTD) [Rescinds SEBB 2018-39]
- SEBB 2021-11 – Employee-paid long-term disability enrollment procedures
- SEBB 2021-12 – Amending SEBB 2018-54 Relating to default enrollments
- SEBB 2021-13 – Amending SEBB 2018-38 Employer-paid basic LTD
- The approval of the LTD resolution changes the benefit design of supplemental employee-paid LTD offerings, effective January 1, 2022. Additionally, as of January 1, 2022, school employees will need to affirmatively opt-out of supplemental employee-paid coverage rather than electing that coverage. During fall 2021 open enrollment, school employees will need to take action if they do not want supplemental employee-paid LTD coverage and related deductions to their pay. HCA will communicate this change to school employees in coming months.
- Staff presented an update on the 2021-23 biennial budget, including proposed funding rate and collective bargaining.
- Staff updated the Board on the status of legislation moving through the current 2021 legislative session. Senate Bill 5322, which is a clarification of a previous law prohibiting dual enrollment between SEBB and Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) programs, passed. Governor Jay Inslee signed the bill into law shortly after the Board meeting concluded.
- The Board heard a briefing on the upcoming annual rule making process.
- Staff provided an overview of behavioral health, including network adequacy, covered benefits and programs, benefits under review, recently passed legislation, and available resources.
- Staff introduced plans for implementing premium subsidies for certain COBRA subscribers, which is part of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021.
The next public meeting of the SEB Board is scheduled for 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on May 5. Board members and the public may attend virtually via Zoom. The link or call-in number will be noted on the meeting agenda, which will be posted on the SEB Board Meetings and materials webpage.