Preparing for retirement

How long do I have to enroll?

You have 60 days to complete an application to enroll in or defer PEBB retiree coverage after your active employment, COBRA coverage, or continuation coverage ends. If you don’t complete the required forms in time, you could lose rights to enroll with us in the future. Find out how to enroll.

Can I enroll later?

If you have access to other coverage as described in the Retiree Coverage Election/Change form, you can defer (postpone) PEBB retiree insurance and enroll in the future. However, the PEBB Program must receive your Retiree Coverage Election/Change form requesting deferment no later than 60 days after your employer-paid coverage, COBRA coverage, or continuation coverage ends. See Deferring coverage.

Am I eligible for PEBB retiree coverage?

You may be eligible to enroll in PEBB plans if you are a retiring employee of a:

  • State agency.
  • State higher education institution.
  • Washington State school district or educational service district.
  • PEBB-participating employer group.

See How to determine eligibility for details.

You may also be eligible for PEBB retiree coverage if you are an elected or full-time appointed state official of the legislative or executive branch of state government who voluntarily or involuntarily leaves public office. See Benefits after layoff or separation for more information.

What coverage can I enroll in?

As an eligible retiree, you can choose to continue your medical and dental coverage, or medical coverage only, through the PEBB Program for yourself and your eligible family members. You may also enroll in retiree term life insurance if you were enrolled in PEBB employee life insurance while working.

If you are enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B, you may also have other medical plan options available to you. See Medicare and PEBB benefits.

Why choose PEBB?

We offer a comprehensive health care package providing value, access, and choice. We also contract with private insurers to accommodate your range of insurance needs. You can expect to receive competitive benefits from one of the largest health care purchasers in the state.

How much does it cost?

Rates vary depending on your plan and if you're enrolled in Medicare. Generally, rates change every January 1. See Plan costs.

How do I pay the premiums?

You can pay for your PEBB retiree coverage through:

  • Pension deduction
    The premium deduction for the current month will come out of your end-of-the-month pension check.
  • Automatic bank account withdrawal
    Complete an Electronic Debit Service Agreement to authorize.
  • Monthly Invoice - Personal check or money order
    Make payable to the Washington State Treasurer.
  • Voluntary Employees' Beneficiary Association (VEBA) Trust account reimbursement
    (Available if you have a VEBA account)
    You can elect any of the payment options above and contact the VEBA administrator at 1-888-828-4953 to make reimbursement arrangements.

We won't enroll you until we receive your first month's premium payment. If you tell us on your enrollment form to have your premiums deducted from your monthly pension check, you don't need to send payment for your first month's premium.

Retiree forms

Who should I contact for help?

For questions about:

  • Premium payments: contact PEBB Benefits Services at 1-800-200-1004.
  • A plan's providers, benefits, or prescription drug coverage: contact the plan.
  • Eligibility, enrollment, or deferring your retiree coverage: contact PEBB Benefits Services at 1-800-200-1004 or see PEBB rules and policies.