The PEBB Program provides basic life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance at no cost to employees enrolled in the full benefits package. Additional optional life and AD&D insurance is available for purchase.
On this page
The PEBB Program provides life insurance to eligible members through MetLife. Eligible members include the following employees:
- State agencies
- Higher-education institutions
- Community and technical colleges
- Employees who work for a PEBB Program-participating school district, tribal government, or employer group that offers both PEBB Program medical and dental coverage.
If you work for a PEBB Program-participating school district, tribal government, or employer group, contact your personnel, payroll, or benefits office to see if this is part of your benefits package.
The PEBB Program's full employee benefits package includes basic life insurance at no cost to you. It provides:
- $35,000 for death from any cause.
- $5,000 in case of accidental death or dismemberment (AD&D).
As an employee, your basic life insurance covers you and pays your designated beneficiaries in the event of your death. AD&D insurance provides extra benefits for certain injuries or death resulting from a covered accident.
In addition to purchasing optional life and AD&D insurance for yourself, you may also choose to purchase optional life and AD&D insurance for your eligible dependents.
Employees must enroll in optional life insurance to enroll their dependents in optional life insurance. Optional coverage is not available to retirees. They must port or convert.
|Types of optional coverage||Employee (subscriber)||Spouse or state-registered domestic partner||Child(ren)
(14 days up to 26 years)
Optional life insurance
Increments of $10,000 up to $500,000 guaranteed issue*, up to a maximum of $1,000,000 with Medical Evidence of Insurability.
Increments of $5,000 up to $100,000 guaranteed issue*, up to a maximum of $500,000 with Medical Evidence of Insurability. Coverage cannot exceed 50% of employee's optional life insurance.
Increments of $5,000 up to $20,000
Optional AD&D insurance
Increments of $10,000 up to $250,000.
Increments of $10,000 up to $250,000
Increments of $5,000 up to $25,000
*Guaranteed issue is the amount of coverage an employee may select when initially eligible for coverage, within the required deadlines below, without submitting a statement of health for carrier approval.
Employees may apply for up to the guaranteed issue amounts of optional life insurance without submitting evidence of insurability to MetLife:
- No later than 31 days after the date the employee becomes eligible for PEBB benefits.
- No later than 60 days after the date of marriage or state domestic partnership registration.
- No later than 60 days after the birth or adoption of a child, once the child is 14 days old.
- Once you have enrolled one child in Child Dependent Life Insurance, each succeeding child will automatically be covered for the same amount on the date that child becomes eligible as defined in the Certificate of Coverage.
If you apply for or change your employee or spouse or state-registered domestic partner optional life insurance coverage amounts outside of the deadlines mentioned above, you must provide a statement of health to MetLife for approval, regardless of the coverage amount requested.
Requests submitted within the above deadlines for coverage over the guaranteed issue amount will require evidence of insurability only for the amount over the guaranteed issue. If the additional amount is denied, the employee or family member will be enrolled in the guaranteed issue amount.
How to enroll or make changes
To create an online account with MetLife
- Visit MetLife’s MyBenefits portal.
A Welcome to MyBenefits screen will appear.
- You should see "PEBB Benefits - State of Washington" in the Account Sign in box.
- If you see "Enter your company name," start typing "PEBB" (without the quotes) into the field and a dropdown of options should appear. Select "PEBB Benefits - State of Washington."
- Click the Submit button.
This will take you to a Welcome to MyBenefits screen that has Life Insurance and Tools & Resources boxes in the center of the screen and a First Time User? box on the right.
- If you have visited this link before and completed steps 2 and 3, you will see the Welcome to MyBenefits screen that has Life Insurance and Tools & Resources boxes when you click the MetLife's MyBenefits portal link above.
- In the First Time User? box on the right, click the Register Now! button.
- Complete the registration form.
- Click the Register button.
- On the next screen, click the Continue button.
You will now see a personalized screen that reads "Your Name, PEBB Benefits - State of Washington" in the upper right and your registration is complete.
You will receive a thank you email from MetLife that includes a link back to the MyBenefits page. If you have questions about the MetLife website, please contact MetLife at 1-866-548-7139, Monday - Friday, 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. Pacific Time (except for the major holidays).
PEBB Benefits Services call center cannot answer questions about the MetLife website.
To cancel your optional life and/or AD&D insurance, you must complete MetLife’s cancellation of optional life insurance form and send it to:
MetLife Recordkeeping Center
P.O. Box 14406
Lexington, KY 40512-4406
For enrollment, premium payments, benefits or plan details
Online: MetLife MyBenefits
Phone: 1-866-548-7139, benefits specialists available Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. Pacific Time (except for the major holidays).
- Customer support for questions about your account, benefit options, claims, beneficiaries, and billing.
- 24/7 automated customer support to order forms, confirm coverage, and verify beneficiaries.