The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) helps you prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
On this page
DPP helps you learn lifestyle changes through simple steps at no cost to eligible PEBB members. More effective than medication, lifestyle changes are the key to:
- Improve your health.
- Feel better and more energetic.
- Build confidence by learning new habits and skills.
Clinical research shows lifestyle changes can reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes by almost 60 percent.
What is DPP?
Designed for people who have prediabetes or are at risk for type 2 diabetes, DPP consists of 25 one-hour sessions led by specially trained lifestyle coaches. The sessions offer peer support from others with shared goals and struggles.
Watch A Change for Life: The National Diabetes Prevention Program to learn more.
What is prediabetes?
Prediabetes is a serious health condition where blood sugar levels are higher than normal. About 84 million American adults—more than 1 out of 3—have prediabetes. Of those with prediabetes, 90 percent do not know they have it.
To join DPP at no cost, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- 18 years or older.
- Enrolled in a PEBB medical plan.
- Do not have Medicare as primary insurance.
- Overweight (BMI ≥ 25; or ≥ 22 if Asian. BMI calculator).
- No previous diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
- Meet one of the following:
- Score 9 or higher on the diabetes prevention risk quiz.
- Previously diagnosed with gestational diabetes.
- Blood sugar test result in the prediabetes range within the past year:
- Fasting plasma glucose: 100—125 mg/dL.
- Hemoglobin A1C: 5.7%—6.4%.
- Two-hour plasma glucose (after a 75 gm glucose load): 140—199 mg/dL.
Call 1-877-229-7111 ext. 706 to get started.
Contact your plan to find out about their diabetes support.