HCA’s lobby is now open for walk-in customer service. Learn about customer service options.
Appointed and elected officials
General information and requirements
- Employees who are elected and full-time appointed officials of the legislative and executive branches of state government.
- Employees who are elected and full-time appointed state officials (as defined in WAC 182-12-114(4)) who voluntarily or involuntarily leave state office are eligible to continue PEBB insurance coverage as a retiree if they meet procedural requirements (WAC 182-12-180(3)).
- PEBB offers retirees medical, dental, and a retiree term life insurance plan for those who had previous PEBB life coverage as a subscriber, and are not on a life insurance disability premium waiver. PEBB also offers eligible dependents medical and or dental coverage if the retiree also participates in these benefits (WAC 182-12-209).
- The employer contribution toward PEBB benefits cease for employees and their enrolled dependents the last day of the month in which employees are eligible for the employer contribution under WAC 182-12-131(7). Exception: If the employing agency deducted the employee's premium for PEBB insurance coverage after the employee was no longer eligible for the employer contribution, PEBB insurance coverage ends the last day of the month for which employee premiums were deducted.
|Employer must...||...no later than...||...or this will happen|
|Complete C-9 worksheet Retiring.||30 days after the date employment ends or as soon as the employee's end date is known.||Eligibility errors may occur and the employee will not receive the required notice and information provided in the worksheet.|
|Terminate official's PEBB benefits in PAY1.||Immediately after the date employment ends or as soon as the official's end date is known.||Benefit enrollment delays resulting in increased employer cost of coverage, and possible payment hardships. See Loss of Eligibility (Addendum 19-1A) for more information.|
The official may access the Retiree Enrollment Guide and enrollment forms on the PEBB website or call PEBB Customer Service (1-800-200-1004) to request a packet.
|Official must...||...no later than...||...or this will happen|
|Complete the PEBB Retiree Election form to enroll in or defer coverage.||60 days after employer-paid coverage ends.||Lose future right to enroll in PEBB retiree coverage.|
|Mail, hand-deliver, or fax the Retiree Election form to the PEBB Program (deliver to the address provided in the guide or fax to 360-923-2608).||60 days after employer-paid coverage ends.||Lose future right to enroll in PEBB retiree coverage.|
|Make the first full payment to HCA for continuation of coverage (if not electing pension deduction from Department of Retirement Systems).||45 days after the date coverage is elected.||Lose future right to enroll in PEBB retiree coverage.|
|Officials who have...||...may...||...no later than|
A spouse or state-registered domestic partner also covered by PEBB benefits.
For additional deferral options, refer to the
|Defer retiree coverage and enroll as a dependent on their spouse or state-registered domestic partner's employer-based group medical.||60 days after the date the employee's employer-paid coverage ends.|
|PEBB life insurance.||Apply for portability or conversion coverage through MetLife.||31 days after the date the employee lost eligibility for the employer contribution OR 60 days after the date the employee lost eligibility for the employer contribution, if retiring.|
|A spouse or state-registered domestic partner also covered by PEBB benefits.||Transfer a portion of their optional life insurance to the spouse's or state-registered domestic partner's PEBB coverage, up to the eligible limits.||31 days after the date the employee lost eligibility for the employer contribution.|
|A Medical Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA) through Navia Benefit Solutions.||Apply for Continuation of Coverage through Navia Benefit Solutions to extend their period of coverage, so they may claim expenses incurred after their employment ends.||60 days after the date the employee lost eligibility for the employer contribution.|
|A spouse or state-registered domestic partner also covered by PEBB benefits.||
Enroll in or change their election through Navia Benefit Solutions for an Medical FSA.
|60 days after the date the employee lost eligibility for the employer contribution.|
- Officials must contact the Department of Retirement Systems if applying for retirement benefits. Information is available at www.drs.wa.gov or by calling their toll-free number 1-800-547-6657. Elected and appointed officials do not have to receive a retirement plan payment from a state-sponsored retirement system to be eligible for PEBB retiree benefits.
- The official may contact HCA at 1-800-200-1004 to request a Retiree Enrollment Guide.
- If the official chooses not to use pension deduction to pay retiree premiums, they must submit the first full month's premium to HCA before PEBB can enroll the official and eligible dependents in coverage.
Common questions and issues
PersPay Knowledge Base
- If a retiree returns to work and is eligible for other employer-based group medical, can he or she defer PEBB coverage and reenroll at a later date when employer coverage terminates?
- I have an employee whose spouse or state-registered domestic partner is also a state employee. When the spouse’s coverage terminates, can the spouse transfer life insurance to the subscriber's coverage?
WAC references and their general subject matter
- 182-08-015 - Definitions
- 182-08-198 - When may a subscriber change health plans?
- 182-08-199 - When may an employee enroll in or change their FSA or DCAP?
- 182-12-131 - How do eligible employees maintain the employer contribution toward insurance coverage?
- 182-12-146 - What options for continuation of coverage are available to subscribers and dependents who become eligible under COBRA?
- 182-12-171 - When are retiring employees eligible to enroll in retiree insurance?
- 182-12-180 - When is an elected state official, full time appointed state official of the legislative or executive branch of state government, or their survivor eligible to continue enrollment in PEBB retiree insurance coverage
- 182-08-200 - Defer enrollment in a PEBB retiree health plan
- 182-12-109 - Definitions
- 182-12-205 - May a retiree defer enrollment in a PEBB health plan at or after retirement?
- 182-12-207 - When can a retiree or dependent’s insurance coverage be canceled by HCA?
- 182-12-208 - What are the requirements regarding enrollment in retiree dental?
- 182-12-209 - Who is eligible for retiree life insurance?
- 182-12-262 - When can a subscriber enroll or remove eligible dependents?