PEB Board approves four resolutions
On May 28, 2020, the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEB Board) met virtually and approved four resolutions. These resolutions included:
- Defining procedures related to the development of proposed premium contributions.
- Defining enrollment processes for PEBB employees who do not make plan elections during their initial eligibility election period.
- Clarifying subscriber and dependent enrollment for a new Medicare Advantage-Prescription Drug (MA-PD) medical plan.
- Making minor changes to the Uniform Medical Plan (UMP) vision benefit, starting January 1, 2021.
More information about the MA-PD plan, including monthly premiums and specific benefit details, will be available this fall.
A fifth resolution presented to the board was not approved. The resolution proposed the benefit structure and cost sharing for a new UMP option, called UMP Select, which would have been available to employees and non-Medicare retirees.
The full text of the approved resolutions are below. You can also see the slides presented to the PEB Board and meeting minutes on the PEB Board Meetings and materials webpage.
Rate Development Procedure (Resolution 2020-01)
Resolved that, beginning with the rate development process in 2020 (to set premium contributions for plan year 2021) and annual rate development processes thereafter, the PEB Board will not review or consider unsolicited revised rates after proposed employee premium contributions are published publicly by the Health Care Authority on its website.
Default Enrollment for an Eligible Employee Who Fails to Make a Timely Election (Resolution 2020-04)
Resolved that, the default election for an eligible employee who fails to timely elect coverage will be as follows:
- Enrollment in employee-only medical coverage;
- Enrollment in employee-only dental coverage;
- Enrollment in basic life insurance;
- Enrollment in basic AD&D; and
- Enrollment in basic long-term disability insurance.
Medicare Advantage–Prescription Drug (MA-PD) Plan Enrollment (Resolution 2020-05)
Resolved that, if a subscriber selects a PEBB Program MA-PD plan, any non-Medicare enrollees on the account will be enrolled in the Uniform Medical Plan (UMP) Classic.
UMP Vision Benefits (Resolution 2020-07)
Resolved that, beginning January 1, 2021, the vision benefits for all UMP plans in the PEBB Program will align with the coverage as presented at the April 15, 2020 Board Meeting.
The next public meeting of the PEB Board is scheduled for June 17, 2020. This meeting may be held virtually. If so, Board members and the public may only be able to attend via Skype or telephone. The call-in number will be noted on the meeting agenda, which will be posted on the PEB Board Meetings and materials webpage.