WAC 182-538-050 Definitions
Effective January 1, 2016
The following definitions and abbreviations and those found in Chapter 182-500 WAC, Medical definitions, apply to this chapter.
"Action" means one or more of the following:
- The denial or limited authorization of a requested service, including the type or level of service;
- The reduction, suspension, or termination of a previously authorized service;
- The denial, in whole or in part, of payment for a service;
- The failure to provide services in a timely manner, as defined by the state; or
- The failure of a managed care organization (MCO) to act within the time frames provided in 42 C.F.R. 438.408(b).
"Agency" - See WAC 182-500-0010.
"Appeal" means a request by an enrollee or provider with written permission of an enrollee for reconsideration of an action.
"Apple health foster care (AHFC)" means the managed care program developed by the agency and the department of social and health services to serve children and youth in foster care and adoption support and young adult alumni of the foster care program.
"Assign" or "assignment" means the agency selects an MCO or primary care case management (PCCM) provider to serve a client who has not selected an MCO or PCCM provider.
"Auto enrollment" means the agency has automatically enrolled a client into an MCO in the client's area of residence.
"Client" means, for the purposes of this chapter, an individual eligible for any medical assistance program, including managed care programs, but who is not enrolled with an MCO or PCCM provider. In this chapter, "client" refers to a person before he or she is enrolled in managed care, while "enrollee" refers to an individual eligible for any medical assistance program who is enrolled in managed care.
"Disenrollment" - See "end enrollment."
"Emergency medical condition" means a condition meeting the definition in 42 C.F.R. 438.114(a).
"Emergency services" means services defined in 42 C.F.R. 438.114(a).
"End enrollment" means ending the enrollment of an enrollee for one of the reasons outlined in WAC 182-538-130.
"Enrollee" means an individual eligible for any medical assistance program enrolled in managed care with an MCO or PCCM provider that has a contract with the state.
"Enrollee's representative" means an individual with a legal right or written authorization from the enrollee to act on behalf of the enrollee in making decisions.
"Enrollees with special health care needs" means enrollees having chronic and disabling conditions and the conditions:
- Have a biologic, psychologic, or cognitive basis;
- Have lasted or are virtually certain to last for at least one year; and
- Produce one or more of the following conditions stemming from a disease:
- Significant limitation in areas of physical, cognitive, or emotional function;
- Dependency on medical or assistive devices to minimize limitation of function or activities; or
- In addition, for children, any of the following:
- Significant limitation in social growth or developmental function;
- Need for psychological, educational, medical, or related services over and above the usual for the child's age; or
- Special ongoing treatments, such as medications, special diet, interventions, or accommodations at home or school.
"Exemption" means agency approval of a client's preenrollment request to remain in the fee-for-service delivery system for one of the reasons outlined in WAC 182-538-130.
"Grievance" means an expression of dissatisfaction about any matter other than an action, as "action" is defined in this section.
"Grievance system" means the overall system that includes grievances and appeals handled at the MCO level and access to the agency's hearing process.
"Healthcare service" or "service" means a service or item provided for the prevention, cure, or treatment of an illness, injury, disease, or condition.
"Managed care" means a comprehensive healthcare delivery system that includes preventive, primary, specialty, and ancillary services. These services are provided through either an MCO or PCCM provider.
"Managed care contract" means the agreement between the agency and an MCO to provide prepaid contracted services to enrollees.
"Managed care organization" or "MCO" means an organization having a certificate of authority or certificate of registration from the office of insurance commissioner that contracts with the agency under a comprehensive risk contract to provide prepaid healthcare services to eligible clients under the agency's managed care programs.
"Mandatory enrollment" means the agency's requirement that a client enroll in managed care.
"Mandatory service area" means a service area in which eligible clients are required to enroll in an MCO.
"Nonparticipating provider" means a person, health care provider, practitioner, facility, or entity acting within their scope of practice and licensure that:
- Provides health care services to enrollees; and
- Does not have a written agreement with the managed care organization (MCO) to participate in the MCO's provider network.
"Participating provider" means a person, health care provider, practitioner, or entity acting within their scope of practice and licensure with a written agreement with the MCO to provide services to enrollees.
"Primary care case management" or "PCCM" means the healthcare management activities of a provider that contracts with the agency to provide primary healthcare services and to arrange and coordinate other preventive, specialty, and ancillary health services.
"Primary care provider" or "PCP" means a person licensed or certified under Title 18 RCW including, but not limited to, a physician, an advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP), naturopath, or a physician assistant who supervises, coordinates, and provides health services to a client or an enrollee, initiates referrals for specialist and ancillary care, and maintains the client's or enrollee's continuity of care.
"Timely" concerning the provision of services, means an enrollee has the right to receive medically necessary health care as expeditiously as the enrollee's health condition requires. Concerning authorization of services and grievances and appeals, "timely" means according to the agency's managed care program contracts and the time frames stated in this chapter.