American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN)
Find information about Apple Health (Medicaid) coverage for American Indian and Alaska Native populations.
Under the Affordable Care Act, American Indians and Alaska Natives have a range of options for health care and health care coverage. Learn more about these options.
As an American Indian or Alaska Native on Apple Health, you can:
- Enroll in an Apple Health managed care plan, or
- Receive Apple Health coverage without a managed care plan.
There are advantages and disadvantages to each, depending on your individual circumstances. Tribal health clinic and urban Indian clinic staff are very familiar with these options and can help you make this choice.
You can also:
- Purchase private health insurance through Washington Healthplanfinder.
- Apply for an exemption from the federal mandate to have health care coverage.
- Choose your behavioral health coverage.
You can always go to tribal and urban Indian clinics, whether you have Apple Health or not, and you won't have to pay any out-of-pocket costs. You can sign up with the clinic as your primary care provider, whether you're enrolled in an Apple Health managed care plan or you receive Apple Health coverage without a managed care plan. If a tribal or urban Indian clinic can't provide the services you need, they will refer you to a specialist.