HCA’s lobby is temporarily closed for walk-in customer service. Learn about customer service options.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

On April 2, 2020, the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEB Board) held a special telephonic meeting to approve policy resolutions that extend retiree eligibility and enrollment timelines during the Governor’s state of emergency due to COVID-19Learn more about the approved emergency resolutions.


Where do I find the most commonly used forms?

Visit the forms and publications page to search for commonly used retiree forms. To refine your search, change the Topic, Year, or Plan and click the Search button.

Retiree eligibility and enrollment

Am I eligible for PEBB retiree coverage?

To be eligible to enroll in PEBB retiree insurance, you must meet both the procedural requirements and all eligibility requirements of WAC 182-12-171. The PEBB Program will confirm your eligibility upon receipt of your application. For help determining eligibility, visit determine eligibility.

What coverage can I enroll in?

You can choose to enroll in: 

Can I enroll my dependents?

You may enroll the following dependents as described in WAC 182-12 260. See How to determine eligibility.

The PEBB Program verifies the eligibility of all dependents and will request proof of a dependent’s eligibility. We will not enroll a dependent if we cannot verify the dependent’s eligibility. See dependent verification.

When should I enroll?

It’s important for the PEBB Program to receive your forms within the required timelines. We must receive your Retiree Election Fom (form A) indicating your decision to enroll or defer no later than 60 days after your employer-paid coverage, COBRA coverage, or continuation coverage ends. Additional forms and documentation may be required for enrollment. If the we do not receive your forms within the required timeline, you could lose your right to enroll. Find out how to enroll.

Can I enroll later?

If you meet the eligibility requirements for PEBB retiree coverage (WAC 182-12-171) and you meet requirements in WAC 182-12-200 or 182-12-205, you can defer (postpone) PEBB retiree insurance and enroll in the future. To defer your enrollment, we must receive your Retiree Election Form (form A) requesting deferment no later than 60 days after your employer-paid coverage, COBRA coverage, or continuation coverage ends. See deferring coverage.

Plan Information

What plans are available to PEBB retirees?

For a list of plans available to retirees, visit medical plans and benefits.

How can I compare the plans available through PEBB?

You can compare the plans available by using the Medical Benefit Comparison tool or Compare plans webpage.
Note: The comparison tool does not include information for Medicare Supplement Plan F, administered by Premera Blue Cross.

Becoming eligible for Medicare

What happens once I (or my covered dependents) enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B?

Once you or your covered dependents enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B, you must send a copy of either the Medicare card or a letter from the Social Security Administration as soon as you receive it but no later than 60 days after enrolling in Medicare that shows the effective date of Medicare Part A and Part B coverage.

Mail a photocopy of the Medicare card or letter to:
PEBB Program
Health Care Authority
PO Box 42684
Olympia, WA 98504-2684

We will reduce your premium to the lower Medicare rate, if applicable, and notify your health plan of your Medicare enrollment.

Visit Medicare and turning age 65 for more information.


How much does PEBB retiree insurance coverage cost?

Rates vary depending on your plan and if you're enrolled in Medicare. Generally, rates change every January 1. See plan costs.

Where can I compare premium costs?

You can compare premiums by visiting plan costs.

How do I pay the premiums?

The following are options for paying for your medical and dental premiums:

  • DRS pension deduction.
  • Automatic bank account withdrawal (Electronic Debit Service).
  • A personal check or money order (monthly invoice).

See paying for benefits for more details.

If you are eligible for and electing Retiree Term Life Insurance coverage, premium payment will be made directly to MetLife. See how will I pay for my Retiree term life insurance premiums.

What happens if I miss a payment?

You must pay the premiums and any applicable premium surcharges for your PEBB coverage when due. The monthly premium will be considered unpaid if one of the following occurs:

  • No payment of premium or premium surcharge is paid and the monthly premium remains unpaid for 30 days; or
  • A premium payment or premium surcharge is underpaid by an amount greater than what would be considered an insignificant shortfall (described in WAC 182-08-015) and the monthly premium remains underpaid for 30 days past the date the monthly premium was due.

If either of the events listed above occur, the PEBB Program will terminate your PEBB insurance coverage retroactive to the last day of the month for which the monthly premium and any applicable premium surcharge was paid. If your PEBB retiree insurance coverage is terminated, any enrolled dependents’ coverage will be terminated as well. You cannot enroll in PEBB retiree insurance coverage again later unless you regain eligibility for PEBB coverage (for example, by returning to employment in a PEBB, Washington State school district, educational service district, or charter school benefits-eligible position.

For more information visit paying for benefits.

Voluntary Employees’ Beneficiary Association (VEBA)

What is a VEBA?

A Voluntary Employees’ Beneficiary Association (VEBA) is a tax-exempt trust under Section 501(c)(9) of the Internal Revenue Code. VEBA trusts hold assets for the purpose of providing employee benefits. Hundreds of state and local governmental agencies and employers in Washington have adopted VEBA programs that provide health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs) to eligible employees and retirees.

What is an HRA?

A health reimbursement arrangement or HRA is an account you can use to reimburse your out-of-pocket medical care expenses and premiums. HRAs are often called VEBA accounts.

For more information on VEBA, call the VEBA MEP customer care center at 1-888-828-4953.  You may also contact your agency personnel, payroll or benefits office or employer agency to see if your agency or employer participates in VEBA.

Can I use my VEBA account to pay my premiums?

Yes, and you can set up a monthly “automatic premium reimbursement.” Supporting documentation, such as a Statement of Insurance, is required. For information on how to reimburse your premiums by using a VEBA account, visit paying for benefits.

Other types of common qualified expenses include copays, deductibles, prescription drugs, dental, vision, etc.

How do I get a Statement of Insurance for reimbursement from VEBA?

Once you are enrolled, a Statement of Insurance can be downloaded by logging in to PEBB My Account. PEBB My Account will not be available until your retiree coverage is enrolled and effective.

Retiree Term Life Insurance (MetLife)

Am I eligible for Retiree Term Life insurance?

The PEBB Program provides retiree term life insurance through Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (MetLife). Coverage is available if you:

Your dependents are not eligible for retiree term life insurance.

If you enroll in PEBB Continuation Coverage (COBRA) between the time you had PEBB employee coverage and the time you become eligible for PEBB retiree insurance coverage, you cannot enroll in retiree term life insurance. The PEBB Program does not offer life insurance to PEBB Continuation Coverage (COBRA) enrollees and you cannot have a break in life insurance coverage. Learn more about retiree term life insurance.

Open Enrollment, Special Open Enrollment, and changes that can be made any time during the year

When is open enrollment?

PEBB’s annual open enrollment is your chance to make changes to your PEBB health plan coverage without having a special open enrollment event. Changes made will take effect January 1 of the following year. Visit Change your coverage for more information.

How do I make an address change?

Retirees can call 1-800-200-1004 TRS: 711) or submit a written request to update their address. If you are moving out of your medical plan’s service area, you will be required to submit the Retiree Change Form (form E) with your new plan selections. Additional forms may be required based upon your new plan selections.

See completing the retiree forms for more information.

How do I cancel PEBB retiree coverage?

Visit the Cancel coverage webpage.

How do I defer my PEBB retiree coverage after enrollment?

If you are a retiree enrolled in PEBB retiree insurance coverage, the PEBB Program must receive your change form and any other forms before you defer coverage. Enrollment will be deferred effective the first of the month following the date the PEBB Program receives your form. Exception: If the form is received on the first day of the month, coverage will end on the last day of the previous month. If you or an enrolled dependent are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan, you must also send the PEBB Program a completed PEBB Medicare Advantage Plan Disenrollment form (Form D). PEBB insurance coverage will end on the last day of the month when the Medicare Advantage Form is received.

For additional information, see deferring coverage.

How do I reenroll after deferring PEBB coverage?

Please see how to enroll after deferring coverage.

How do I file an appeal?

Submit the Retiree/PEBB Continuation Coverage Notice of Appeal form to the PEBB Appeals Unit as instructed on the form. More information on how to file an appeal is located on the file an appeal page.