2019 PEBB open enrollment has begun. You have until November 30, 2018 to make changes to your coverage.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Find answers to commonly asked questions about employee benefits.

Eligibility and enrollment

How long do I have to enroll?

To enroll in PEBB benefits, your personnel, payroll, or benefits office must receive your enrollment form(s) no later than 31 days from the date your eligibility begins.

Generally, you become eligible your first day of employment. Ask your personnel, payroll, or benefits office when your eligibility begins. More enrollment information is available on How to enroll.

How do I enroll my dependents?

If you enroll dependents on your PEBB insurance coverage, you must provide proof of their eligibility within the enrollment timelines listed above or the dependents will not be enrolled. See Dependent verification.

What documentation do I need to submit to enroll a dependent?

For a complete list of documentation needed to enroll a dependent, see Dependent verification.

What is an extended dependent?

An extended dependent may be your grandchild, niece, nephew, or other child for whom you, your spouse, or state-registered domestic partner have legal responsibility as shown by a valid court order and the child’s official residence with the custodian or guardian. This does not include foster children for whom support payments are made to you through the state Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) foster care program. For more information, see Definition of children.

Medical plan options

What medical plan options are available?

For a list and benefit comparison of the medical plans available through the PEBB Program, visit Medical plans and benefits.

What additional benefits are available to me?

Plan changes

How do I change my address?

Complete an Employee Enrollment/Change form and return it to your personnel, payroll, or benefits office. If you move out of your plan’s service area, you may need to change plans. You must report your new address to your personnel, payroll, or benefits office no later than 60 days after your move.

How do I waive medical coverage?

You may waive PEBB medical if you are enrolled in other employer-based group health insurance, a TRICARE plan, or Medicare. You cannot waive dental. You must submit a form to waive PEBB medical. If you waive coverage for yourself, you cannot enroll your eligible dependents in PEBB medical. See Waiving medical coverage.

Note: You cannot waive PEBB medical coverage and enroll in PEBB retiree coverage.

How do I terminate (cancel) my coverage?

Employees cannot terminate medical, dental, basic life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D), or basic long-term disability insurance. To terminate your optional life and AD&D insurance, supplemental long-term disability insurance, and your Medical FSA or DCAP, visit cancel coverage.

Life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance (MetLife)

How do I enroll in supplemental life insurance?

If you are enrolling within your initial 31 days of eligibility, complete the MetLife employee enrollment/change form and submit to MetLife.

If you are enrolling after your initial 31 days of eligibility, you may enroll by visiting MetLife’s MyBenefits online portal.

  1. Go to MetLife’s MyBenefits online portal.
  2. Under “Account Sign In,” type “PEBB Benefits – State of Washington.”
  3. On the next page, find the “First Time User?” box and select “Register Now.”
  4. On the “Register for MyBenefits” page, complete all the required fields. Step 4 asks you to agree to the Terms of Use. Check the box and then click the “Register” button.
  5. On the next page, choose “Enroll/Modify Life Insurance” on the top right list.
  6. The next page allows you to choose your coverage amounts for yourself, your spouse or state- registered domestic partner, and/or your child(ren). If you do not want optional life and/or AD&D insurance for yourself or a dependent, select “No coverage” in the drop-down menu for each dependent.
  7. Name beneficiaries.
  8. Read the Fraud Warning and check the box. Name your state of birth, type in your account password, and click “Submit.”
  9. Once your submission is accepted, the page shows your costs per month for each product and another tab shows your beneficiaries. Print or save the confirmation as a .PDF for your records.

How do I check my life and AD&D insurance amounts?

You can find your current life and AD&D insurance amounts at MetLife’s MyBenefits online portal. You are the only one who has access to this password-protected portal. The PEBB Program’s My Account online portal and your employer no longer have information about your selected supplemental coverage amounts.

May I name a minor child as my beneficiary?

Yes. However, due to insurance laws MetLife cannot give insurance proceeds directly to the minor child because minors are considered incompetent by law.

If an adult has been appointed as the guardian of the minor’s property, MetLife will give the insurance money to the guardian. If the minor does not have a guardian, MetLife will put the money into an interest bearing account that cannot be accessed until the minor turns 18 or until such time that a guardian is appointed (whichever comes first).

A parent is not automatically considered the guardian of a minor’s property. Parents are “custodial guardians,” meaning they care for the minor. However, a court must appoint them guardians of the minor’s property before the parent(s) can receive any life insurance money intended for that minor. This extra step ensures the money is used to benefit the minor, like the insured person wanted. The parent(s) must provide a copy of a valid court document before the money is disbursed.

I’m divorced. How do I remove my ex-spouse from my coverage?

To remove your ex-spouse from your coverage, you must complete a cancellation form and mail it to MetLife. You can submit it to the address on the bottom of the form.

I named a beneficiary; what if that individual is no longer alive at the time of my death?

You have the opportunity to name a contingent beneficiary for your basic and supplemental life insurance. If you do not, or if no beneficiary you name is living, MetLife will determine the beneficiary based on the following guidelines:

  • Your spouse or state-registered domestic partner.
  • Your child(ren).
  • Your natural or adopted parent(s).
  • Your sibling(s).
  • Instead of making payment to any of the above, MetLife may pay your estate. Any payment made in good faith will discharge their liability to the extent of such payment. If a beneficiary or a payee is a minor or incompetent to receive payment, they will pay that person's guardian.

My Account

I can’t login to My Account.

For help accessing your PEBB My Account, visit Help with My Account.

Note: My Account is not available to University of Washington (UW) employees.  UW employees must use Workday to access their account.

How do I subscribe/unsubscribe from PEBB’s email subscription service?

Subscribe or unsubscribe from PEBB’s email subscription service by logging into My Account.  UW employees must use Workday. Sign up details can be found on the Contact the PEBB Program page.