Due to COVID-19, HCA’s lobby is closed. Learn more about HCA's customer service options during the pandemic.

Opioid treatment programs (OTPs)

Opioid use treatment in Washington is delivered by licensed, certified, and accredited opioid treatment programs (OTP).

COVID-19 and OTPs

Frequently asked questions

Important: Licensing and certification of opioid treatment programs has moved to the Department of Health (DOH) effective July 1, 2018. For more information about licensing and certification, visit the DOH Behavioral Health Agencies page.

How do OTPs work?

OTPs use medications for opioid use disorder (MOUD) — the use of medicines combined with counseling and behavioral therapies — to treat patients diagnosed with opioid use disorders (OUDs).

What drugs are used?

Three FDA-approved (OUD) medications can be dispensed from an OTP:

  • Methadone
  • Buprenorphine
  • Vivitrol

What do I need to know about certification?

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration  (SAMHSA) provides oversight of OTPs. For details about certification, visit the OTP certification page on their website. 

Certification in Washington is overseen by the Department of Health (DOH).


Jessica Blose
State opioid treatment authority
Phone: 360-725-1088