Cascade Select is a three-agency effort involving the Health Care Authority (HCA), Washington Health Benefit Exchange (HBE), and Office of the Insurance Commissioner (OIC). HCA is responsible for procuring and contracting with carriers for Cascade Select, which are the public option plans under Cascade Care.
HBE is responsible for the standard benefit design utilized by Cascade Care and Cascade select plans and makes the plans available through Washington Healthplanfinder. OIC is responsible for ensuring health plans, including Cascade Care and Cascade Select plans, meet regulatory requirements.
Learn more about our Cascade Select procurement!
HCA is pleased to announce that through our Cascade Select procurement process, we have identified three carriers as ASBs for plan year 2023. This year’s procurement was a competitive selection process with priorities of quality, expanded service areas, and proposed premiums, with an emphasis on affordability for Cascade Select customers.
The ASBs' proposed plans may provide the most affordable coverage options in nearly every Washington county. The Cascade Select ASBs are:
- Community Health Plan of Washington
- Coordinated Care Corporation
- LifeWise Health Plan of Washington
With this competitive selection:
- Public option plans will be available in 34 counties, up from 25 in 2022, pending approval by the Office of the Insurance Commissioner (OIC) and certification by the Health Benefit Exchange (HBE) Board.
- Ninety-eight percent of current Exchange customers will have access to a public option plan.
- Public option rates will be the lowest-premium silver plans in 25 counties, up from 13 in 2022, pending OIC approval and Exchange certification.
HCA, HBE, and OIC are focused on increasing access to public option plans across the state, while enhancing competition in the individual market and strengthening the tools that influence affordability and quality.
While we’ve reached a significant milestone in identifying the Cascade Select ASBs, we have more work to do. This includes:
- The review and approval of health plan filings by OIC.
- Contract negotiations and final review with HCA.
- Final certification of plan offerings by the HBE Board.
Stay tuned for more information.
- Frequently asked questions (FAQ):