PEB Board hears comments on UMP Medicare plan
On June 30, 2022, the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEB Board) met virtually. The meeting was open to the public via Zoom.
Highlights are listed below. See the briefing book for all presentation materials.
HCA Employees and Retirees Division Director David Iseminger opened the meeting with remarks that the Board would not take action on a previously proposed resolution to close UMP Classic Medicare (see the briefing book for the resolution PEBB 2022-12 text).
Iseminger stated that “in addition to no vote occurring today, there is no timeline to revisit the closure proposal in the future. Not this Board season, which is planned to end in July. Not this September or fall. Not even during the 2023 Board season.”
HCA staff are planning for further communication with and feedback from PEBB members at the next Board meeting and in other venues in the near future to discuss and ensure the needs of the diverse population are met by the PEBB Medicare plan offerings.
The Board proposed and adopted the following resolution:
- PEBB 2022-16: Resolved that the PEB Board postpone action on closure of the UMP Classic Medicare plan until at least January 2024 to allow staff to interact in earnest with stakeholders.
The Board heard comments from approximately 39 individuals about the importance and value of UMP Classic Medicare as a plan offering, the impacts of any closing of the plan, and concerns about the other available plan options. A planned comprehensive presentation addressing PEBB Medicare plans was postponed until the July 14 meeting to allow time for public comment.
The Board also approved the following resolutions:
- 2022-05: IRS Minimum Deductible for Consumer Directed Health Plan: Beginning January 1, 2023, the deductible in the UMP Consumer Directed Health Plan (CDHP) will be increased to $1,500 for single subscribers and $3,000 for all other tiers.
- 2022-06: UMP CDHP Pharmacy Preventive Care: Beginning January 1, 2023, the UMP Consumer Directed Health Plan (CDHP) will cover the drug list presented to the Board on June 9, 2022, prior to meeting the plan deductible. Thereafter, HCA may alter this drug list to allow for pre-deductible coverage based on clinical evaluation and in accordance with IRS guidance.
- 2022-07: Medicare Premium – Explicit Subsidy: The PEB Board endorses the calendar year 2023 monthly Medicare Explicit Subsidy of $183 or 50 percent of premium, whichever is less.
- 2022-08: Medicare Premium – KPNW: The PEB Board endorses the Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Northwest Medicare plan premium.
- 2022-09: Medicare Premium – KPWA: The PEB Board endorses the Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington Medicare plan premiums.
- 2022-10: Medicare Premium – UHC MA-PD: The PEB Board endorses the UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage plus Prescription Drug (MA-PD) plan premiums.
- 2022-11: Medicare Premium – Premera: The PEB Board endorses the Premera Medicare Supplement plan premiums.
- 2022-15: Medicare Premium – UMP Classic: The PEB Board endorses the Uniform Medical Plan (UMP) Classic Medicare plan premium for plan year 2023.
HCA staff proposed the following resolution for a Board vote at the next meeting:
- 2022-14: UMP Accumulators: Beginning January 1, 2023, when a subscriber enrolled in a SEBB Program Uniform Medical Plan changes their enrollment to a PEBB Program Uniform Medical Plan during the plan year (excluding Open Enrollment), accumulated deductibles and out-of-pocket maximum expenses (medical and pharmacy) will transfer.
The Board met in executive session to discuss proprietary carrier information for 30 minutes during the meeting.
The next public meeting of the PEB Board is scheduled for 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on July 14. Board members and the public may attend virtually via Zoom. The agenda and a link or call-in number for the virtual meeting will be posted on the PEB Board Meetings and materials webpage a few days before the meeting. You can sign up to receive board information by email a few days before each meeting.
Note: This announcement was corrected on July 1, 2022 at 3:23 p.m.