HCA’s lobby is temporarily closed for walk-in customer service. Learn about customer service options.
HCA is seeking CMS approval to renew our existing MTP waiver to:
- Expand coverage and access to care, ensuring people can get the care they need.
- Advance whole-person primary, preventive, and home- and community-based care.
- Accelerate care delivery and payment innovation focused on health-related social needs.
If approved, the MTP renewal waiver will provide an additional five years for our state to continue to develop projects, activities, and services that improve Washington’s health care system.
The Health Care Authority (HCA) and our partners are pursuing an MTP waiver renewal. By renewing MTP, our state can continue toward achieving whole-person care, where Washington residents can receive care for their mind and body and have access to necessary social supports.
Existing MTP programs (within the current MTP waiver) will continue and/or expand under the renewal. These include:
- Long-Term Services and Supports (LTSS)
- Foundational Community Supports (FCS)
- Substance use disorder (SUD) IMD*
- Mental health IMD*
In addition, we will launch four new programs under the renewal:
- Taking Action for Healthier Communities (TAHC), which is currently named “Initiative 1: transformation through ACHs and IHCPs” and referred to as “evolution of Initiative 1.” Important note: although this is an existing program of the current MTP waiver, TAHC would be a new program under the renewal. This is because ACHs and others will focus on specific areas of work, rather than choose from multiple community priorities. Learn more.
- Continuous Medicaid enrollment for children
- Extending coverage for postpartum services
- Reentry coverage after incarceration
Read our about the MTP waiver renewal and view a snapshot of the renewal for more information on these programs. Note: these documents are available in multiple languages. See the resources section below.
MTP allows our state to improve Washington’s health care system using federal Medicaid funding. Washington State is currently in the last year of the current MTP waiver, which ends December 31, 2022. If approved, the MTP renewal will begin January 1, 2023, and end December 31, 2027.
All work under MTP benefits people enrolled in Apple Health (Medicaid). Learn more about MTP.
- MTP waiver renewal application - draft (full application) | acronym glossary
- Appendix A: health-related services (HRS) menu
- Appendix B: budget neutrality
- Appendix C: interim evaluation findings report
- Appendix D: external quality review organization (EQRO) reports
- Appendix E: Washington State Register notice
- Appendix F: full public notice
- Appendix G: Dear Tribal Leader Letter
- MTP renewal executive summary, which also serves as Appendix F
- About the MTP renewal (March 2022), also translated in these languages:
- Snapshot of the MTP renewal (March 2022), also translated in these languages:
- Evolution of Initiative 1 (January 2022)
- FAQ (updated January 2022)
*IMD stands for institution for mental diseases. IMDs are defined as hospitals, nursing facilities, or other institutions with more than 16 beds that primarily provide diagnosis, treatment, or care of persons with mental illnesses. This includes medical attention, nursing care, and related services.
We acknowledge the term “mental disease” may be harmful or stigmatizing. We use it in this context only to reflect the legal terminology used in statute.