The state is leading strategic changes within Medicaid, allowing us to move toward a healthier Washington. The Healthier Washington Medicaid Transformation is an agreement with the federal government which allows us to test new and innovative approaches to providing health coverage and care.
- July 17: CMS approves waiver amendment allowing Washington State to better serve people with opioid and other substance use disorders. Read the approval letter and amendment.
2018 public forums
Healthier Washington will hold three public forums, one on each side of the Cascades, and one webinar, to inform the public about the progress of the Healthier Washington Medicaid Transformation and provide opportunities for meaningful public comment. "Transforming Medicaid: Why it matters to all of us" provides an overview of the state's efforts to transform the health system for Medicaid (Apple Health) clients, and will feature health transformation leaders from the Health Care Authority (HCA) and the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS).
- August 21 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at the Tukwila Community Center, 12424 42nd Avenue South, Tukwila, 98168
- September 11 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at the office of Better Health Together, 1020 W. Riverside, Spokane, 99201
- October 4: For those who cannot attend in person, a webinar will be held from noon to 1:30 p.m. Register for this webinar.
These events are open to the public and registration is not required. Children are welcome with adult supervision, and light snacks will be provided.
- Initiative 1 statewide accountability approach
- Medicaid transformation section 1115 waiver amendment request
- Independent assessment of ACH project plans - findings report
- Approved project plan scores and earned incentive funds by ACHs
The Medicaid Transformation is a five-year agreement between the state and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) that provides up to $1.5 billion federal investment for regional health system transformation projects that benefit Apple Health (Medicaid) clients. Read 10 things you need to know about Medicaid transformation.
This timeline shows the implementation activities for the transformation. View timeline.
Transforming the Medicaid delivery system within each region to care for the whole person and use resources more wisely through Accountable Communities of Health. Learn more about transformation projects.
Providing our most vulnerable populations with the targeted supports to get and stay healthy. Learn more about Foundational Community Supports and Services.