Initiative 2: long-term services and supports
Initiative 2 will allow the state to offer new services - including services and supports for family caregivers - to help people stay at home and delay or avoid the need for more intensive care.
On this page
The state will create a system of care that will:
- Preserve and promote choice in how individuals and families receive services.
- Support families in caring for loved ones while increasing the well-being of caregivers.
- Delay or avoid the need for more intensive Medicaid-funded long-term services and supports (LTSS) when possible.
- Medicaid Alternative Care (MAC) will support unpaid caregivers, avoiding or delaying the need for more intensive Medicaid-funded services. This is a new benefit package for individuals who are eligible for Medicaid but not currently using Medicaid-funded LTSS.
- Tailored Supports for Older Adults (TSOA) will provide a limited set of services and supports to help individuals avoid or delay the need for Medicaid-funded services. This is a new eligibility category and benefit package for people “at risk” of future Medicaid LTSS use who do not meet Medicaid financial eligibility criteria.